Had Capsular Contracture. Would Going to Larger of Slightly Larger Implant Increase Risk?

I had 2 grade 4 cap contracture. 1st one 475 silicone gel a year and a half ago. Developed contract in 3 months. Went down to 425 and got grade 4 within months. Just had surgery reusing implants with allomax. So far so good (2 weeks post)Wanted to go back up a size to 450 but surgeon said slight risk. Now I sort of wish I had. Can you tell me if you think there is a risk going from the 425 to 450 if cont was severe. Said very aggressive. Really wanted a little larger. Chest around about 34.130lb

Capsular Contractures

+1

A larger implant should not increase the possibility of having a contracture. You are at risk with any size but the size is not as important as how you care for your implants after surgery. You should continue to move your implants daily to help prevent the reoccurrence of a capsular contracture and help to minimize the amount of scar tissue that forms around the implants.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Risk of Capsular Contracture with Larger Breast Implants

+1

While implants that are 25cc larger are not going to increase the risk of capsular contracture, such a small size increase may not be worth the cost of surgery.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Encapsulation and Breast Implant Size?

+1

There is no evidence that breast implant size has any correlation with risk of breast implant encapsulation.  I would suggest that if you remain  encapsulation free that you avoid any further surgery ( avoid entering the breast implant pocket)  if at all possible.

Does implant size bear any relationship to contracture?

+1

The answer is NO, getting larger implants does not increase the possibility of contracture.  We now have a much better understanding than in the past about factors responsible for capsular contracture, and there is no evidence that implant size is in any way related.

Steve Laverson, MD

Treatment of Recurrent Capsular Contracture

+1

Going from 425 to 450 is very minimal increase.  You would be hard pressed to tell a difference between the two sizes unless you have the two implants sitting side by side.  So on one hand, you don't have to feel bad about your choice as it made very little difference to the size of your implants.  On the other hand I do not think that size difference (or any, really), truly impacts your outcome with regard to capsular contracture.  The fact is that we don't really know why it happens.  The fact that you had Gr 4 contractures twice would make me consider every possible tool we have in our tool kit to minimize the recurrence.  Use a brand new implant, in a brand new pocket (ideally under the muscle), use of medication such as singulair, and the use of an acellular dermal replacement such as alloderm.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD