Do I Have Capsular Contracture or Could It Be Something Else?

i am 25 5'4 120 post op 34B 550 cc silicone implants placed under four weeks post op i noticed a hard area on my right boob(right side, of right boob) i was told to take ibuprofen, put a warm towel and massage. now sometimes the boob gets soft but when i massage again it goes right back to being hard. im very confused and my ps is not a good one so i need to find a more patient ps. i am in the process of looking for another, please please help as to what this may be or what i should be doing.

Capsular contracture

+3

Capsular contracture is not likely only four weeks after surgery. The hard area could be due to a hematoma ( collection of clotted blood), or possibly to muscle spasm. You may have a small clot in a vein. Warm moist compresses are a good idea. If your condition does not improve over the next few weeks, you might want to find a plastic surgeon you can trust. 

Early breast firmness can be muscle spasms

+2

Thanks for your question.  At 4 weeks it is a little early to be developing a capsular contracture.  Capsular contractures usually take a few months to become apparent.  In addition, capsular contractures are not intermittent, they are constant.  Given the description of the problem I suspect that muscle spasms are causing the firmness  This  will often improve over time but usually requires some stretching of the area.  Antiimflammatories can often be helpful The best thing to do is to continue to see your surgeon and follow their recommendations.  It is impossible to give medical advice over this forum without a physical exam make sure you maintain your appointments with your doctor.

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Capsular contracture?

+2

Thank you for your question. While it is impossible to be definitive without an examination, it is unlikely that you have a capsular contracture. It is still early in your post op course, and a capsular contracture 4 weeks post op would be highly unlikely.

Based on your description, it sounds like you are having inflammation of the veins of the breast. This can happen after breast surgery and results in pain and firmness. This is called Mondor's disease and is best treated with anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen and heat. This is typically self limited and resolves without any other intervention, but i would suggest being evaluated by a breast surgeon never-the-less.

Sorry to hear that your recovery is not as smooth as you would like and that you have had a falling out with your plastic surgeon. Hopefully, the rest of the recovery will go well.

Best of luck.

Jeff Rockmore

Albany Plastic Surgeon

+1

Obviously being evaluated by a BC Plastic Surgeon would be your next best step.  You could have a hematoma or seroma that is causing firmness to the breast.  Typically it takes several weeks to months to develop a capsular contracture.  Good luck!

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Hardness One Month after Breast Implants

+1

Hardness one month after implants may be normal scar response or fluid collection or hematoma or bruise.  In general, the diagnosis of capsular contracture is only made after hardness is noticed after several months that is progressive in nature.

Transient firmness in breast a month after augmentation

+1

is not a contracture.  Contractures do not get better on their own and only continually shrink and distort your breast shape with marked firmness.  You describe something else and if it doesn't resolve, you should see another surgeon if you have lost confidence in your current surgeon.  In this technological world, your opinions have a lot of influence and you should share them if objective and true.

Lump post-op

+1

It is impossible to tell what the problem is. If it softens at some times , then it is not a capsular contracture. You should go back to your surgeon and get him to explain his thought process in evaluating the lump.

Columbia Plastic Surgeon

+1

Hi, thanks for your question.

I agree with the other opinions. The most likely cause is Mondor's which is treated conservatively.

Make sure you see your plastic surgeon on a regular basis until it subsides.

All the best.

Hello

+1

You did not mention how long ago you had the surgery done? You should get a exam to be able to be exact on what is going on with your implants.

Contracture

+1

You are very early in the post operative period. You should go for your regular visits to the surgeon who operated on you.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.