Capsular Contracture and Chronic Idiopathic Hives

I have had unexplained hives on and off for 5 years and am scheduled for a primary breast augmentation. I realize that no one really knows what causes capsular contracture but if it is an immune system response, I am concerned that perhaps my having had idiopathic hives for 5 years might put me at risk for capsular contracture. Do you think there is any merit to this thought? I am 36 and have no other health issues. Thank you.

+1

The cuase of CC is unknown but the current popular theory is related to a bacterial biofilm and not an autoimmune reaction

Hives and Capsular Contracture

+1

I am not aware of any relationship between the process that causes hives and the suspected processes that cause capsular contracture. There is always the possibility of the unknown, but I think that the risk is very slim that you will have an increased risk. However, you must remember, EVERYONE getting breast implants has the risk of getting capsular contracture. Therefore, if you get one, you will never know if it was because of your history or because you are one of the small percentage of women who gets it even without other risk factors.

Daniel P. Markmann, MD

+1

As all the previous expert posters have stated, No relationship. I agree in thought but I'm still concern you might have a rare possibility of having a slightly higher risks for a cc. Just my thoughts. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski

Capsular Contracture & Chronic Hives

+1

I know of no relationship between hives and capsular contracture and I do not feel that your condition will make you more likely to have a post-op contracture.  Most plastic surgeons think capsular contracture isdue to a subclinical infection although no one knows for sure.

John Whitt, MD

Hives and breast augmentation

+1

There is fairly good data that suggests breast implant capsular contracture is related to low grade inflammation, possibly related to bacterial contamination of an implant at time of placement. Your history of hives will not impact your breast augmentation result.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Hives and capsular contracture

+1

There is no data regarding this.  All you can do is decide how much you want the implants and go forth. Good luck!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Hives and implants

+1

Breast implants are not associated with hives, and it should not make them worse or better. It should not impact your augmentation either.