Is This Capsular Contracture? If So, What "Baker" Grade? How Long to Take Singular?

Surgery 1-27-2011.Told Dr about firm breast at 4 mos postop, again at 5 mos postop.Singular scrip at 5 mos, no improvement at 6 mos appt.Is this capsular contracture or pocket issue?What grade CC?Will singular help this far "gone"? No insurance so meds cost $160/mo. 450cc gummy bear submuscular implants - i'm 5'5" and 135lbs,very active.Want to see if meds are worthwhile or if I should just save for new surgery now - and what is estimated cost of revision? Original op cost $5995 inclusive of OR

+3

Thanks for posting photo. And YES you have a cc but to grade can not tell over the internet. You need revision surgery with open capsulotomy or ectomy and lowering the inframammary fold. I wonder if you were asymmetric before? The fee paid for silicones is very reasonable. In my practice I charge for costs to re operate. In MIAMI I would charge $2500. 

Breast asymmetry after breast augmentation

+2

Because of your concern with breast asymmetry, I assume that your breasts were relatively symmetric prior to surgery.  Does the right breast feel more firm than the left?  At 6 months, the scar tissue is well formed and will not noticeably stretch with massage.  Singulair is not of proven benefit.  The implant should be surgically released and the implant exchanged.  Perhaps the surgeon will offer you a discount for secondary surgery.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Use of Singulair to treat capsular contracture

+2

Dear San Antonio,

Please save your money. Like my colleagues before me..it's hard to say what happened without knowing what you looked like before your surgery and without actually examining you.

Web reference: http://www.horndeski.com/Default.aspx

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Fixing breast asymmetry

+2

Not knowing what you started with or exactly what was done at surgery it is impossible to say how/why you ended up with this result. The posted photo shows asymmetric breasts with the left nipple lower than the right, the whole left breast hanging lower than the right including the contents of the skin envelope. I suspect the left inframammary fold is lower than the one on the right.  It is very likely that you were asymmetric before surgery even though your description makes it sound like you developed the assymetry in the months following surgery. In that case the surgery magnified the asymmetry. The only certain thing is you will need further surgery to improve the symmetry and taking Singular is a waste of time and money. The appropriate surgery could include capsulectomy, skn excisions to reposition the breasts etc. depending on the physical findings and history.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Singular and casular contracture

+2

The fact is that there are no clinical studies that support the effectiveness of Singular in reducing capsular contracture. The use is 'off label' or prescribed for reasons not recognised as effective by the FDA. Your photo does not have the 'look' of capsular contracture and may be related to either a problem with the pocket, or breast asymmetry with a fuller skin envelop on the lower side. The gummy bear is a firm implant, and if textured can be unforgiving. We suggest you give up on the medication and start saving.

peterejohnsonmd

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com

Capsulr contracture

+2

Your breasts look asymmetrical and assuming that they didn't early postop it would most likely be from a capsular contracture on the right side (the higher one).  I am personally not impressed with non-surgical treatment for cc and I would imagine you will need a capsular realese/excision and a new implant.

Capsular contracture can deform breast implants

+2

Your pictures shows two different breasts.  Both look good but tey do not look symmetric.  This could be because you started out with two different breasts, because during surgery the space into which your implants were placed were different, or because after surgery the two breasts healed differently with the right contracting more.  Based on your one picture it is difficult to determine which one of the possible scenarios applies to you.  If you had good symmetry right after surgery and now your breasts are significantly different then you may have capsular contracture.  At this stage Singulaire would probably not work and you may need a capsule release.

You should talk to your plastic surgeon.  Make sure your surgeon is a board certified Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon.

The cost of revision depends from clinic to clinic.  Some surgeons may charge you some small fee, some may do touch ups free of charge.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Capsular Contracture and Singular

+1
hello!--I have used Singular in the past with mixed results--It has helped some but only after 3-6 months and very mildly. Removal with capsulectomy and placement of implant does a great job. If it comes back, the other option I have used is removal of implants , removal of capsule  and allow the breasts to "sit" for 6 months without a foreign body.  This allows the body to reset itself . That would be for RECURRENT Capsules

Web reference: http://www.beautybyjeneby.com

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Use of Singulair for treatment of Capsular contracture

+1

There is no proven data that supports use of Singulair for treatment of capsular contracture.  Although there may be risk factors (hematoma, infection) that contibute to capsular contracture, we do not yet know why some people develop capsular contracture and others don't.  Given your post-operative photos, you probably have capsular contracture as long as you had started with symmetric breasts to begin with.  Without examining you, it is hard to tell what degree of capsular contracture you have.  Do you have pain? Is it firm?  I would recommend implant exchange, capsulectomy, and lowering of the IMC on the right side rather than trying Singulair.  Good luck to you.

Web reference: http://www.drkimplasticsurgery.com/woodlands-plastic-surgery-procedures/breast/breast-augmentation/