Capsular Contracture After Week but Four Months Post Surgery?

I went into get implants then as I was having surgery the implant popped as the doctor was putting it inside me is it the doctors fault, I ended up getting capsular-contracture a week later? I'm actually four months post surgery, I had it fixed. But the doctor was very shocked I developed capsular contracture so fast! She's never seen it happen that fast before! My question was could it be because the implant popped inside me leaking all the saline inside my body that caused me to get it? what if it was silicone?

Quick Capsular Contracture

+2

Great question, and I understand your concern.  Early capsular contractures, while not common, are also not unheard of.  While we continue to seek the various possible causes for capsular contracture and have learned much just in the last several years, it is not currently felt that a ruptured saline implant has any impact on capsule formation, and in fact should be a completely harmless occurrence.  Saline is just salt water, and in reality makes up over 70 % of your natural body weight!  I hope that you remain free of any further problems with your implants!

Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon

Early capsular contracture

+2

I can certainly understand your concern. I don't think the broken implant and exposure to the saline caused the capsule contracture. First of all it sounds like it was recognized immediately and a different implant was used. Second, saline is just salt water and does not cause capsule contracture. 

Ronald Schuster, MD

Capsular contracture

+1

If your breast has gotten hard over time, it may be due to scar tissue that formed around the implant.  Capsular contracture is progressive.  Patients usually notice capsular contracture when the implants become hard.  It can also cause distortion of the implant as well as give pain.  You should see your plastic surgeon to see whether you would need implant exchange with capsulectomy.

Sugene Kim, MD

Early capsular contracture.

+1

It would be exceedingly rare to develop capsular contracture at a week as the physiology of scar development is very early at that stage. Early contractures are usually at 3-4 weeks. Exposure of the pocket to saline would not cause capsular contracture. The pockets are washed with saline prior to the placement of any implant.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Causes of early capsular contracture in breast augmentation

+1

I am sorry that you have had a problem from your recent surgery.  Since saline implants are filled with saline which should not cause any pocket irritation if the implant broke on entry, I doubt that this caused the early capsular contracture.  There are several other causes for capsular contractures that may be leading to your problems, but this could be discussed with your Plastic Surgeon.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

Capsular contractures

+1

Capsular contractures can happen almost at anytime, although it is a bit unsual to happen so quickly.

Ruptured saline implant and capsular contracture after breast augmentation

+1

Leaking saline cannot cause capsular contracture, but rough handling of the soft tissues can contribute.  For an implant to rupture a lot of force was necessary and I am not sure exactly how this could happen.  If the implant was ruptured during suturing then no force was needed beyond the needle puncture.

In any case, capsular contracture can occur without rhyme or reason, but saline from an implant  is not the culprit.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Capsular Contracture After One Week

+1

I have never seen a capsular contracture that quickly either.

As to your question about whether rupturing a saline implant coated contributed to this, I would say no. The saline should be harmless. It is likely that the pockets that were made into which the implants were placed were irrigated with saline. Before the implants were inserted they were likely soaking in saline to which some antibiotics may have been added. The saline that may have spelled from the implant was sterile and came right from sterile IV bag into the implant.

Thanks your question, best wishes