Are my Breasts Tuberous? I've Always Had This Deformity and Have Pain in my Large Breast? (photo)

Breasts...tuberous?

Large, asymmetrical breasts best treated with vertical lift +/- implants.

+2

No you don't have tuberous breasts, but you do have large, asymmetrical breasts with sagging.  The right breast is probably hurting because of its size, but you should get a mammagram and have it examined by a doctor regardless.  In terms of treatment, I find that a combination of implants to restore upper pole volume and a breast lift/reduction works best to provide a symmetrical result.  Obviously, much more tissue would be removed from your right side.  Or you could simply have a lift/reduction (they are really the same operation).  The vertical technique is best.  Also, this procedure will reduce your very large areolae.  There are some examples of asymmetrical breasts on my website.  They test the capabilities of the surgeon.  You must be careful to select an experienced plastic surgeon because results differ substantially between operators.  I've attached a link to this portion of my website.

Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

ARE MY BREASTS TUBEROUS?

+2

No you do not have tuberous breasts. You would benefit from a reduction/lift on the larger side and a lift on the smaller side. This will make your areolae smaller and place them higher. See a board certified plastic surgeon for an evaluation. Doubt that insurance covers it. Check your policy relating to breast reduction surgery. Good luck.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breasts

+2

Although the breasts are not similar in size or shape they are not tuberous. The pain in the larger breast is a result of the weight hanging from the chest and the bra putting pressure on the shoulders and neck.
You would benefit from a breast reduction. This would create balance and more symmetry between the breasts while hopefully alleviating the pain in the breast.

Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon to evaluate you and discuss your treatment options.

Good luck

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Not tuberous breasts

+2

You do not have tuberous breasts, they are just droopy and asymmertical and a bit enlarged.  You can imporve them by a breast lift on both and some reduction for symmetry on the larger side.  I doubt insurance will assist you in this though. Make sure to have a mammogram and a breast exam to evaluate the pain in the larger breast.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Are these breast tuberous

+2

Thanks for your question.  After looking at your photo, you do not have tuberous breasts.  You simply have asymmetrical saggy breasts.  To make the breasts the same you will need a reduction on the right with a lift and and a lift on the left side.  Now a days the insurance company requires remove of a minimal amount of tissue for a patients given weight.  I'm afraid in your case your breast may end up too small if its covered by insurance.  If you wish to keep the size of the left breast the same but perkier then insurance will not cover the lift. 

Benjamin Chu, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Breast Size Discrepancy and Breast Reduction

+2

The larger breast can certainly be reduced and the smaller lifted to give a more symmetric, more pleasing result.  With regard to insurance, first make sure that your insurance covers breast reduction.  Second getting approval can be quite difficult and is based upon a number of factors including amount removed, failure of medical management, current weight, and symptoms consistent with macromastia.  See a plastic surgeon who deals with these issues on a regular basis.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tuberous Breasts?

+2

Thank you for the question and picture.

No, I do not think that you are dealing with  tuberous breasts. Your picture demonstrates asymmetric breast ptosis ( “drooping”).  I think ( based on your description and picture) is will likely benefit from breast lifting/reduction surgery. These operations are best done when you have achieved a long-term stable weight (if you are not there already).

When the time is right, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients in your situation. This in-person consultation will be instrumental in answering many of your questions,  including whether health insurance coverage for surgery is a possibility.

Tuberous breasts

+1

Your breasts are not really tuberous, but are ptotic, meaning they are droopy.  also, as I am sure you are aware, you have significant assymetry.  Both these problems can be corrected with a breast lift and reduction of your right side.  You are a good candidate for the procedure and I think yo will get a nice result.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Tuberous breasts?

+1

There are a number of features that define a tuberous breast:

•Wide and puffy areolae
•widely spaced breasts
•high breast fold
•constricted lower pole (deficient tissue in lower half of the breast
•minimal breast tissue
•high breast fold
•narrow base of the breast

None of these are apparent on the photos. What I do see is asymmetry and sagging. The solution to this will be a breast reduction on the right and a breast lift on the left.  

When you are ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Large but not tuberous breasts

+1

Your breasts are not tuberous but just large, saggy and asymmetrical. From your photo it looks like you would benefit from an asymmetric breast reduction with more removed from your right breast than your left. A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon would help you decide what your options are to reach your goals. Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon