How Long After a TT Can I Have a Belly Ring Piercing Put in? (photo)

Hello I am from Cape Town , South Africa and am so thankful for Real Self . Thank you for a great interactive site. I am 8 weeks P/O from an extended TT . I am healing well apart from my swell hell and occasional pain which I experience mostly in the evenings. When would be the ideal time to have a belly ring piercing after my TT ? Kind Regards Lara

Belly button piercing 6-8 weeks after tummy tuck may be okay

+1

Thank you for your question. It is very important that you consult your plastic surgeon for his or her advice on when to have belly button piercing. Generally I asked my patients to wait 6-8 weeks or until they are completely healed before belly button piercing. However a year plastic surgeon must make this decision.

How long after TT can I have a belly ring piercing put in?

+1

I would wait four weeks after an abdominoplasty or tummy tuck before having a belly ring piercing. There is a mild to moderate chance of infection. Please go to a reputable person to have this procedure done.

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

Belly Piercing after Tummy Tuck

+1

It is recommend at my office that you wait at least 6 weeks before placing a belly ring in your new navel. Putting one in any earlier can cause complications such as infection.

Scott Loessin, MD
Key West Plastic Surgeon

Belly Button Piercing after Tummy tuck

+1

When having a full abdominoplasty in which you have an incision around your navel you want to give it at least 4 weeks to heal. A belly piercing can increase your chance for infection and compromise your final results.

Thomas Trevisani, Sr., MD

Belly Button Piercing after Tummy Tuck

+1

In full tummy tucks like yours where a new belly button opening has been made, you just want to be sure that the incisions are well healed before inserting a foreign object through it. I would wait a minimum of 6 to 8 weeks after surgery before so doing. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Solidly healed several weeks after tummy tuck.

+1

Hi.

Whether a ring is a good idea is another question, but you can probably do it anytime after several weeks.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

How Long After a TT Can I Have a Belly Ring Piercing Put in?

+1

Appears you are fully healed so IF YOU WERE MY PATIENT I would allow. Best to see your surgeon to find out if OK. 

How Long after Tummy Tuck to Have Belly Ring Piercing Done?

+1

I like to see the scar healing well and becoming soft before adding a piercing. This is usually between 4 and 6 months. I know it is tempting to do it sooner, but scars around the belly button sometimes need revision, and sometimes they contract. So giving the healing process enough time to make sure things are stable is a good idea.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

How Long After a TT Can I Have a Belly Ring Piercing Put in

+1

From the photo it looks like your incisions are all healed. I would suggest at least two weeks after the incision is all healed, and has had no drainage at all. Best wishes.

When the skin is soft and stable in color

+1

Thank you for the question and the photo.  Healing occurs in a progressive fashion but we describe it as occurring in phases.  One of the last phases is a remodeling phase where the collagen is re-organized.  During this process it is not uncommon to see some additional redness in the scars.  When your skin has stabilized in color and softness then you will be at an ideal time to get a belly button piercing.  It can be done before than but there is increased chance of prolonging this phase of healing.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD