Should Lipoma Be Removed and What Are my Options?

I have a lipoma on my mid-back to the right of my spin (partially underneath my bra strap) that is about 2x3 inches. We were traveling over a month ago & I began complaining of back pain & asked my husband to rub it. He then noticed the lump on my back. After an MRI, it is a "presumed lipoma." My family doctor does not wish to do anything further because it "would leave a bad scar." I don't care about a scar. I'm 23 and there are some evenings that I can't even stand long enough to cook dinner.

+2

Lipomas don't typically need to be removed but it sounds like you're having severe symptoms as a result of this. Assuming that the MRI was normal, it would be your choice whether to have it removed. Scars on the back tend to heal poorly no matter who performs the procedure. However, that is the only option for removal. Liposuction leaves components of the lipoma behind and they tend to recur over time if not removed completely. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Web reference: http://weberfacialplasticsurgery.com/staff/stephen-weber-md-facs/

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lipoma

+1

This lipoma should not be the cause of this kind of pain. I dont see any reason to leave these lipomas for later. They just get bigger

Lipoma

+1

You have two options.

Excision, that will need a one inch scar

biobsy though a small incision, if it is lipoma then through the same incision will do liposuction

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.