Is Canthoplasty Right for Me? (photo)

Hi, im 18 years old and one of my under eye lids seams to droop and im just wondering if canthoplasty is the right surgery for me? and if so do I just get it done to that one or do I go ahead and do both eyes?

Transconjunctival release may offer a solution

+1

After a transconjuctival (through the inside of the lid) eyelid tuck, the lower lid can elevate 1-2 millimeters by releasing or separating the muscle that pull your lower lid down when you look down. A plastic surgeon with lots of eyelid experience can give you the risks and feasibility of getting the eyes to look a bit more symmetrical. 

Naples Plastic Surgeon

Canthoplasty for lower eyelid scleral show

+1

The outer corners of your eyes are appropriately higher than the inner corners and the lid margins are slightly lower than the bottom of the irises. If you tighten the lower lids by canthoplasty in this setting you will likely pull the lower eyelid edge further below the eyeball like an obese individual who cinches their pant belt to the point where the pants lie below the belly instead of on it.

You may have other options available to you to address this but you need to be seen and examined first to know what could or should be done.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Minor Eyelid Asymmetry

+1

Your eyelid issues are so minor that any attempt at surgical correction would likely fail to reach perfect eyelid symmetry...and you may well end up with creating an actual worsening of the problem.

Web reference: http://www.eppleyplasticsurgery.com/eyelid.html

NO to canthopexy

+1

It sounds like you have no symptoms and if that is true then I would not do an surgery for your lower lids.  Know the risks of the surgery before choosing to do it and also ask to see before/after photos of similar cases.

Scleral show

+1

There is no question you have a little more scleral show on the left.You could have that corrected to create more symmetry or leave it a lone since you are having no symptoms.

Web reference: http://beautybybrueck.com

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Surgery for slightly Abnormal Position of Lower Eyelids

+1

Thank you for your photographs.  You do have some increased scleral show (white portion of your eyes) naturally but you are not symptomatic. Meaning this increased show does not prevent your eyelids from complete closure, you do not have excessive tearing, irritation and or infections resulting from this eyelid position.  I would not recommend any surgery for you.

Dr. ES

Correcting lateral canthal rounding

+1

You should have a firm aesthetic goal in mind before considering surgery to correct or improve a very minimal cosmetic deformity.  You do have some rounding of the lateral canthal area.  You would need to have an examination to understand if you truly need a canthopexy procedure.  

Canthoplasty

+1

Canthoplasty is a functional procedure done to elevate the corners of your eyes if you are having chronic irritation.  It is often done to repair excessive show of the sclera caused by an external approach to cosmetic eyelid surgery.    You should consult with an occuloplastic surgeon, an opthalmologist specializing in reconstructive and cosmetic eyelid surgery. 

Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scleral show does not necessarily require surgery.

+1

The photograph demonstrates a small amount of scleral show under both irises. It doesn't appear there is any functional problems is a consequence. Treatment would be purely cosmetic.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,22-atlanta-eyelid.htm