Can a Canthopexy procedure during Lower Eyelid Surgery cause any permanent changes in upper eyelid?

4 weeks post-op - I ended up with some retraction on both eyes after a lower lid lift, despite a canthopexy. I am also concerned to see that the outside corners of my upper eyelids are droopy. My upper eyelids looked good & did not need surgery, so I am very upset & shocked to see a change in them caused by LOWER eyelid surgery. Can a doctor kindly please explain why I have retraction despite having had a canthopexy and whether & when the upper lid droopiness will subside. Thanks so much.

Canthopexy change of upper eyelids

+1
  • Yes, a canthopexy can temporarily change the outer upper eyelid - the lifting of the lower lid bunches tissue in the out upper lid. 
  • Give this 2-3 months to subside.
  • The retraction despite the canthopexy depends on your eye anatomy and the surgery - this should be discussed with your surgeon, it cannot be answered long distance. Best wishes.

Upper Eyelid Change after Canthopexy

+1
Yes, a canthoplasty or canthopexy can change the upper eyelid at its side (lateral) aspect. Usually, these changes are temporary and in your case, I would anticipate changes for the positive to the upper eyes for at least 8 weeks after surgery. If the pull down on the upper lids will last also depends on the technical specifics of the canthopexy. 
I would recommend that you discuss this with your blepharoplasty surgeon. He will be able to predict best what the future for you holds. If you have lasting objectionable changes, surgical repair should be straight forward. 

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

It can affect the shape of the upper eyelid.

+1
The upper eyelid is tethered to the lower eyelid at the lateral canthal angle.  If the lateral canthal angle is low, it can affect the curve of the upper eyelid.  We don't consider these "permanent changes" because this type of alteration can be corrected with revisional surgery.   However at one month out, you are very early after surgery with many more months of healing.  Many of the changes that are bothering you right now will soften.  If your issues persist, I would recommend getting several opinions regarding your best options should a revision or touch up surgery be needed.