Canthopexy to Fix Former Eyelid Surgery? (photo)

Five years ago I (34 y old / male) had a lower blepharoplasty done (fat removal) which resulted in both of my eyelids to drop. The first picture shows my eyes relaxed, the second one when I squint slightly which I do often in order to not make my drooping eyelids to obvious. Would a canthopexy be a method to improve my current situation? If at all possible I would like to avoid a more major procedure like a canthoplasty.

Lower eyelid retraction

+2

If you were not confused before asking the question you probably are after reading the answers to it. Although the problem is clearly visible in the photo contributing factors to it cannot be assessed through the photo. If the tissues are tight and have shrunk from years of being in this position you will need a graft or some kind of spacer. If there is scar tissue in the middle layer of the eyelid pulling it down that scar will need to be divided. One or more of these adjunctive procedures could be needed in addition to a canthopexy/plasty.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Canthopexy not enough

+2

WHat you have is lower eyelid retraction following blepharoplasty, which unfortunately is not uncommon. A canthopexy alone will likely not be enough. Lower lid retraction repair with a posterior [inside the eyelid] graft would likely be needed.

If you decide to explore this further, I would recommend consultation with an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeon. You can find one close to you on the ASOPRS dot org website.

Web reference: http://seattleface.com/html/dr_amadi.php

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower eyelid retraction after lower blepharoplasty

+2

Canthopexy or canthoplasty alone will NOT fix your problem.  Your lower eyelids are pulled down due to tight lower eyelid skin and the tension needs to be released with either midface lift and internal eyelid graft or possibly skin graft!  See an oculoplastic surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.TabanMD.com

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lid Retraction

+1

I'll cut to the chase - you need to see a plastic surgeon in person to determine what is best.  It depends on whether your skin is too tight, or whether the inner layers need release and a spacer graft.  A canthopexy on it's own will not be enough.  Regardless, I think you're headed for a more significant procedure - not what you wanted to hear, I know.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Canthopexy to Fix Former Eyelid Surgery?

+1

The ONLY posted photos show cicatrices ectropion. Best to have in person evaluations to offer correct operations as a canthoplasty with possible grafts. 

Canthopexy vs. Canthoplasty for Lower Eyelid Drooping

+1

It is hard to predict whether canthopexy or canthoplasty is ideally needed. Certainly a canthopexy will help but it usually doesn't raise the outer aspect of the lower eyelid as much as a cangthoplasty. I am not sure why you think there is a big difference between the size of the operation and the recovery between these two eyelid operations...because there isn't.

Web reference: http://www.eppleyplasticsurgery.com/eyelid.html

Lower lid canthopexy for droopy lids

+1

A lower lid camthopexy should be able to give you what you want without a canthoplasty. 

Lower lid droop after blepharoplasty

+1

Not having had a chance to review your pictures fom before your Blepharoplasty, its difficult to determine how much ectropion or low lid tone was pre-existing. From the limited picture provided, a Canthopexy  will likely improve the lower lid bowing without a Canthoplasty.

Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.