Do I Need to Lose More Weight Before I Consider a Tummy Tuck?

I am 21 years old and two years ago I weighed 260 pounds and I am 5'7" and I now currently weigh 180 pounds. The skin on my stomach is very loose and I have old stretch marks that I want removed. Am I a good candidate for this now or do I need to lose more weight?

The appropriate timing for a tummy tuck as related to weight.

+4

You have lost a substantial amount of weight resulting in laxity of your abdominal skin and probably underlying muscles as well. Clearly, as confirmed by your photos, a tightening procedure would be beneficial for you, whether this involves just your abdomen or even a circumferential one (belt lipectomy or lower body lift).

Are you planning to lose more weight/do you want to be at a lower weight? If so, you would be best served by losing most of this additional weight first prior to undergoing surgery as the results would be much better, more refined and longer lasting. Either way, your outcome should be a vast improvement over your pre-weight loss appearance.

Best to lose weight before TT

+3

I also congratulate you on losing the weight.  At your current weight at 5'7" you have a BMI of 28.2, which puts you in the overwieght category, but not too bad.  The first question is, do you WANT to lose more weight??  If you do, it is better to do so before the tummy tuck.  Patients have to be realistic.  If you get down to say 160 pounds, yes you will look that much better, but is this a realistic goal for you?  If  you lose the weight, can you keep it off?

You will want to get an opinion from a plastic surgeon who has actually seen you, of course. Good luck.

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Losing weight and tummy tuck

+3

In general, I tell my patients if you are within 10-15% of the weight you desire, a tummy tuck is reasonable.  However, if your goal is to be less than 160 lbs. (greater than 10--15% of where you are now),  you should wait until you lose the weight.  Your result may be more loose if you lose the extra weight from 180 lbs. to less than 160 lbs. after the surgery.  You should also understand that only the stretch marks from your navel to you pubic hair line will be removed.  Anything above the navel will still be present.

Ricardo Izquierdo, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon

Be at a stable weight before having a tummy tuck

+2

Once you have achieved your goal weight ( or close to it) then you can consider having a tummy tuck. In your particular case however, if you have already lost 80 pounds, you may need a body lift to remove skin from your entire abdomen, flanks, outer thighs and buttocks. A board certified plastic surgeon can evaluate you and determine which body contouring procedure is best for you.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Tummy Tuck After Weight Loss

+2

Congratulations on your weight loss!  Although you (like everyone) will have a better result if you are at or near your ideal weight at the time of your tummy tuck, it looks as if you could have a good result at this time if you also have some aggressive liposuction of your flanks concurrently.  In your anterior photo, your abdomen looks flat except for the redundent skin and fat in your lower abdomen.  On the lateral photo, however, the excess fat in your flanks is more apparent.

John Whitt, MD

+2

Dear dwambach,

Congratulations on your weight loss!

The best time to perform a tummy tuck or other body contouring procedure is when your weight is stable and you are close to your goal weight. You are a suitable candidate for a tummy tuck at your current weight.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Awesome weight loss

+2

with great weight loss comes awesome surgical results. you should only lose more weight if your target weight dictates it. otherwise, you are good to go. good luck

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Does a 5'7'' 180 pound patient qualify for a tummy tuck?

+2

First of all congratulations on losing 80 pounds; that is a real feat! On examining your photos it appears that you can now be a candidate for a tummy tuck unless you want to lose more weight. If you do, then you should first lose the additional weight and then undergo the tummy tuck. Otherwise if you have the tt now and you then lose more weight you may have recurrent excess skin with sagging.

George Lefkovits, MD

Tummy Tuck Candidate?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Congratulations on your significant weight loss;  I think you already ( or at least very close to being ready) for tummy tuck surgery.

I would suggest you also look into extended tummy tuck surgery  if the areas of  flank/"muffin tops"  are of concern.

Weight loss before Abdominoplasty

+1

First, congratulations on your weight loss.  A couple of thoughts.  Most plastic surgeons would prefer you being stable at your goal before operating.  Most plastic surgeons would at least have you withing striking distance of your goal weight before operating.  (this is usually within about 30 lbs, depending on the patient).  Best to get into the best shape you can, this will help the recovery and result as well.  Good idea to see a couple of board certified plastic surgeons.  together you can make an appropriate decision. 

Jeffrey Roth, MD