Candidate for Upper Lip Lift?

I have no upper lip. I want to increase the size of my upper lip while decreasing the distance between my nose and my upper lip. Would a Lip Lift be a good option for me?

Lip lift: bull's horn, gull wing, corner lift? Lots of options but all involve scar. Is it worth it?

+3

This camera view can be distorting and so it is hard to tell but you do appear to have a long upper lip.

It is important to have a dental evaluation because maxillo-facial conditions can contribute to this appearance.

Lip lifts vary and can use the bull's horn (immediately beneath the nose) or gull wing incisions (immediately above the lipstick line). The former may require a corner lift to avoid excessive lifting of the central potions of the lip. I generally prefer the former because it tends to leave a less noticeable scar. However, you must be willing to accept a visible scar if you proceed with the surgery. This is not a popular procedure for this reason.

Candidate for Upper Lip Lift?

+1

Probably yes, upper lip lift, if well planned and performed, would produce a nice result.  Your question was asked four years ago... Did you do it?  If so, how are the results?

Steve Laverson, MD

Lip lift options

+1

I do a good number of lip lifts due to post-rhinoplasty lengthening of the upper lip.  I find the sub-nasal bull horn scar to be the best incision when skin excision is needed.  The gull wing scar is not favorable and I tend to stay away from that incision.

Jay Calvert, MD

Upper Lip Lift

+1

Regarding ; "I have no upper lip. I want to increase the size of my upper lip while decreasing the distance between my nose and my upper lip

It would take more than a single photograph with the lips at rest to definitively advise you if you are a good candidate for a Lip Lift. The operation works best in women who have a long upper lip (as you do) but who on smiling show little to no "white' ( IE no incisor show). If you fall into this category, you may benefit from a lip lift with the scar placed in the shadow of the lip-nose junction. The Upper lip volume could be increased with Restylane or Juvederm.

Selecting a lip lift

+1

Lip lift procedure can be a powerful tool to enhance a patient's appearance.  The important thing is to decide the preferred method for lip enhancement.  If your photo is accurate representation, than you would be a good candidate for a lip lift with incision just under the nose.

The surgeon has to decide which of the lip lift procedures is best suited for each individual patient.  Typically incision  under the nose heals quite nicely with barely perceptible scar.  The incision in the lip line (mucocutaneous junction) typically does not heal so well and can leave the lip looking un-natural, nevertheless in some instances that could be an appropriate choice.  Of course the surgeon should not overlook possible need to enhance the lip volume/fullness to achieve nice balance.  Ultimately in this delicate area a surgeon should have significant experience and talent to choose and execute the correct procedure.

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

+1

I do a lot of lip lifts, but I prefer the scar under the nose. In my experience, it is practically invisible. In contrast, the gull wing scar above the lipstick line is practically always visible.

In my office, it is very easy for patients to make up their mind because my patient coordinator has had the procedure and the patients can see her as up close as they want. I have trouble seeing the scar, and some of my patients can't see it even looking up close.

For the corner of the mouth I prefer Botox injections to the Depressor Anguli Oris muscle, and if the patient is happy with the result, we can move to dividing the muscle (DAO release).

As far as the indications for an upper lip lift, if the distance between the nose and the upper lip is more than 1.8 cm you are a great candidate. Anywhere between 1.5 and 1.8cm I like to talk to the patient about goals, pros and cons, etc, as the gain is small.

Another way to evaluate is to gently part your lips or get slightly slack jawed. If your front teeth are not showing, you are a great candidate.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD