Candidate for Upper Lip Lift?

I have no upper lip. I want to increase the size of my upper lip while decreasing the distance between my nose and my upper lip. Would a Lip Lift be a good option for me?

Lip lift: bull's horn, gull wing, corner lift? Lots of options but all involve scar. Is it worth it?

This camera view can be distorting and so it is hard to tell but you do appear to have a long upper lip.

It is important to have a dental evaluation because maxillo-facial conditions can contribute to this appearance.

Lip lifts vary and can use the bull's horn (immediately beneath the nose) or gull wing incisions (immediately above the lipstick line). The former may require a corner lift to avoid excessive lifting of the central potions of the lip. I generally prefer the former because it tends to leave a less noticeable scar. However, you must be willing to accept a visible scar if you proceed with the surgery. This is not a popular procedure for this reason.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Lip lift candidate

Thank you for your question and sharing your photo. Lip lifts can be an extremely rewarding procedure that can increase the fullness of the upper lip, give you a little more lip show. The amount of lift does depend on the starting length of the upper lip skin and the desired look afterwards. The incision is hidden at the border of the upper lip skin and base of the nose and spans the width of the nose. I perform these procedures under local anesthesia, but it can also be done with sedation or general anesthesia. Good luck.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

5061 FM 2920
Spring, TX 77388

Upper Lip Lift Candidacy

Dear alh76,

Candidates for lip augmentation include: thin lips, wrinkled lips due to aging or smoking, asymmetrical lips or those in need of lip reconstruction.

A direct lip lift surgery removes  tissue directly from above the upper lip line border. The end result is a slightly raised effect.

A Subnasal Lip Lift is arguably the most popular method of lip lift surgery.This procedure is performed by removing a bit of skin tissue from underneath the nose.When the incision is closed, the removed tissue creates a slight lift in the upper lip.

The corner lip lift can help create a more uniform lip line post procedure. The corner lip lift uses tiny incisions above the outer corners of the mouth to subtly raise and even the overall mouth contour. This can prevent lip lift patients from winding up with a slightly downturned lip line.

Ross A. Clevens, MD, FACS

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

707 W Eau Gallie Blvd
Melbourne, FL 32935

Lip lift procedures in Los Angeles

A long upper lip may benefit from non surgical and surgical treatments to improve lip contour and aesthetics. These treatments range from lip volume enhancement to lip lift surgery. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

804 7th Street
Santa Monica, CA 90403

Candidate for Upper Lip Lift?

Probably yes, upper lip lift, if well planned and performed, would produce a nice result.  Your question was asked four years ago... Did you do it?  If so, how are the results?

Steve Laverson, MD

477 North El Camino Real
Encinitas, CA 92024

Lip lift options

I do a good number of lip lifts due to post-rhinoplasty lengthening of the upper lip.  I find the sub-nasal bull horn scar to be the best incision when skin excision is needed.  The gull wing scar is not favorable and I tend to stay away from that incision.

Jay Calvert, MD

465 N. Roxbury Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Upper Lip Lift

Regarding ; "I have no upper lip. I want to increase the size of my upper lip while decreasing the distance between my nose and my upper lip

It would take more than a single photograph with the lips at rest to definitively advise you if you are a good candidate for a Lip Lift. The operation works best in women who have a long upper lip (as you do) but who on smiling show little to no "white' ( IE no incisor show). If you fall into this category, you may benefit from a lip lift with the scar placed in the shadow of the lip-nose junction. The Upper lip volume could be increased with Restylane or Juvederm.

6401 Poplar Avenue
Memphis, TN 38119

Selecting a lip lift

Lip lift procedure can be a powerful tool to enhance a patient's appearance.  The important thing is to decide the preferred method for lip enhancement.  If your photo is accurate representation, than you would be a good candidate for a lip lift with incision just under the nose.

The surgeon has to decide which of the lip lift procedures is best suited for each individual patient.  Typically incision  under the nose heals quite nicely with barely perceptible scar.  The incision in the lip line (mucocutaneous junction) typically does not heal so well and can leave the lip looking un-natural, nevertheless in some instances that could be an appropriate choice.  Of course the surgeon should not overlook possible need to enhance the lip volume/fullness to achieve nice balance.  Ultimately in this delicate area a surgeon should have significant experience and talent to choose and execute the correct procedure.

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

360 San Miguel Drive
Newport Beach, CA 92660