If I Am a Candidate, I Want to Have a Tummy Tuck in 6-9 Months. Is It Too Early to Have a Consultation?

Does the time of consultation need to be within a few months of the procedure?

Absolutely

+3

I always think the sooner the better with regards to the consultation process.  This amount of time will allow you to meet with more than one board certified plastic surgeon and learn more about the procedure and the recovery involved.  It is never to early to start preparing for a tummy tuck as long as you do not plan on having any more children or losing a substantial amount of weight.  Seeing someone sooner will also hlep assure that you are able to have surgery on a date which works best for you as opposed to finding out that you waited too long to see the doctor and you may have to wait to have the surgery longer than you had hoped.  Good luck!

Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Consultation Timing

+2

If you are considering a tummy tuck, it is never too early to have a consultation, find out whether you are a good candidate for the procedure, and learn about what is involved with the surgery and the recovery process so that you can make the necessary plans.  For example, there are patients who come in for a consultation only to find out that they are too heavy to be a good candidate for a tummy tuck, and they need to plan on a period of weight loss first.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Timing of consultation

+2

I think at the core of your question lies the process of information gathering and research. I always recommend patients to seek advice early and really learn about the process. That includes the information that is available in portals such as books and Internet, consultations with other qualified physicians and personal comprehension of the issues at hand. It is never too early to have a consultation. This allows you to gear your plans and to perhaps modify your patterns. Occasionally I see some one early and I request that they lose weight, or that they stop smoking , etc.  I ask them to come in to multiple visits and also encourage them to seek other opinions. Most of us have waiting time of 1-3 months for new patients to be seen and most of us have a 1 month wait for scheduling surgery. Wish you the best.

Sepehr Egrari, MD

+2

Never to early to obtain information and being a well informed patient. Shows you are serious to me and just doing you homework. I applaud you. 

Timing of tummy tuck consultation

+2

If you are at your normal, goal weight, starting now would allow you plenty of time to obtain several consultations with different board-certified plastic surgeons.  Finding a qualified surgeon that you can communicate well with and trust is a big part of having a successful, cosmetic surgical experience.

If you are not at your goal weight, a surgeon's recommendations and treatment plan may change along with your weight.  In any case, most surgeons will see patients again within a few weeks prior to surgery.

Good luck.

Craig S. Rock, MD

Timing of consultation

+2

It is always good to have a consultation regarding a procedure as early as you can so you understand the entire process involved.  For a tummy tuck, you just want to make sure you maintain your goal weight prior to surgery.  Once you have determine you are a good candidate, I am certain your surgeon will see you back prior to surgery to review things and answer any questions.

Lawrence C. Lin, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Consultation

+2

As long as you are close your goal weight and do not plan on gaining or losing a significant amount of weight in the next few months, it should be fine.  Most of us will usually see patients a few weeks before the surgery date for a preop visit to go over things again, so if things have changed since the initial consultation we'll be able to discuss it.

I think it also helps to maybe speak to more than one surgeon and look at their before and after photos, as each surgeon has their own style and techniques, and if you are thinking about having the procedure in the fall, then you may have some time to do this.

Good luck!

Dr. Salemy

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Timing of prep consultation

+1
It's great that you are planning ahead. I have patients coming in every fall who are preparing for surgery the following summer. This enables you to objectively consider your options, not make rushed decisions, plan time off from work and make sure that your plastic surgeon of choice will be available. I plan my vacations a year out so patients know exactly when I will be available to perform surgery and in the postop period. Your surgeon might recommend weight loss or that a patient stop smoking. There are always additional consultations closer to the planned surgery date.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

What's the best timing for your consultation

+1

It's never to earlier to have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to be evaluated and discuss a procedure you may be interested in having performed.   The physician will determine if your a candidate for the procedure and he or she can educate and prepare you for that procedure.  For more information see DrMezrow.com

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

+1

It is a good time to start to gather information about the Tummy Tuck procedure, and a great way to do this is to meet with a plastic surgeon.  The initial consultation will help establish whether you are a good candidate for the procedure.  You will also learn more about your surgeon's results and technique.  You will receive information about the postoperative experience which will help you prepare for the procedure. 

David Bray, Jr, MD