Candidate for Revision Rhinoplasty?

I had a Rhinoplasty performed in May of 2007. I had a bump on the side of my nose from breaking my nose in a horseback riding accident. Although the bump is now gone, I am very unhappy with the tip of my nose. I was wondering if I would be a good candidate for Revision Rhinoplasty? If so, I am looking for a doctor in the Chicago area. I am including a before picture. Thanks.

I think you could benefit from a revision rhinoplasty

+2

I think a revision rhinoplasty would be appropriate in your case based on what I can see on your photo. Revision surgery is always more challenging for both the surgeon and the patient, so it will be important to spend some time discussing your concerns with your surgeon so that he may put together a plan that you are comfortable with.

In terms of a surgeon in the Chicago area, I think the best place to start would be to go to www.plasticsurgery.org and type in your location-- you should get a list of several qualified surgeons in your area.

Good luck!

Dr. Salemy

Revision Rhinoplasty in Chicago

+1

Hi Laney

You may be a good candidate for Revision Rhinoplasty however it can best be answered after a consultation. It is best to wait 8 to 12 months after your first surgery before deciding to undergo a secondary procedure. For tip revisions, many times minor adjustments can be made through a closed approach in order to achieve your goals. In which case your recovery period is usually much shorter.

However, if you are having difficulty breathing through your nose, which is a common concern for many patients requesting revision rhino, then you may require a more extensive open procedure in order to meet your goals. During a consultation your photo can be placed on a computer imaging program to better communicate your wishes and desires. I highly recommend you see a physician with a great deal of experience in treating the nose and revision rhinoplasty in particular. Please let me know if I can be of futher assistance.

Best wishes!

Steven H. Dayan, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Revision rhinoplasty would be a great idea to improve your nasal tip. Without seeing other views it would be hard to suggest what could be done. If you recently had a rhinoplasty, I would wait 6 months to a year until the tissues are soft again. This will allow easier manipulation of the tissues and often better results.

Revision Rhinoplasty.

+1

Dear Laney,

I read your review, and saw your before and after pictures. I'm sorry you had a poor experience with your initial Rhinoplasty. You have tip, and nostril asymmetry, and your nose is too long with fullness of your bridge.

You're an excellent candidate for a Revision Rhinoplasty. You should only use a board-certified, experienced Rhinoplasty specialist with many photos of favorable revisions. This is one of the most challenging, and humbling operations I perform, so I cannot over-emphasize the importance of your surgeon's expertise specifically in Revision Rhinoplasty.

You can start by going to ABFPRS.org to see who's board-certified in your area. Then you should go for several consultations. I think you'll know you're with the right doctor when you meet.

Best of luck, and feel free to email me if you have any further questions.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty: What Makes a Good Candidate

+1

The best candidates for revision rhinoplasty are patients who have realistic expectations about what surgery can accomplish. The goals for revision should be to produce a nose that functions well and looks natural.

Tip deformities are one of the most common reasons that patient seek revision rhinoplasty. Sometimes these problems are slight and can be corrected easily. Usually, however, deformities are significant, making secondary rhinoplasty more difficult than primary rhinoplasty and requires more expertise. It is therefore important to select a highly qualified surgeon who is experienced in secondary rhinoplasty when the revision of a previous nose job is required.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon