Could I Be a Candidate for Liposuction at 40 Pounds Overweight?

I know lipo is not a weight loss tool. I don't want lipo to lose weight; I want it to contour my neck and abdomen so that my body shape is nicer and clothes are more comfortable. My weight has been stable for over 15 years... I've lost 10-20 lb.s a few times, only to gain it back because it always jumps back to my "base" weight, but then it stays there. Basically, my body wants to stay right here at 180. (Female, 5'6", 42). I exercise, I am active and I enjoy basic activities such as hiking.

Liposuction and body weight.

+2

You are fine at 180.   You would not be fine at say 220.  Bruce Halperin and I did a study and published it in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery in 2001, reporting on 631 patients we did with large volume liposuction technique.   See medical literature for details or you can call for a reprint of the article.  Our guidelines today are that good candidates be 50 lbs or less over chart weight.  Candidates must be healthy.  Age is considered.  Activity is considered    The whole picture is reviewed.   Yes, you are likely a candidate and the most common areas are thighs, flanks,  flank-back-hip zones and abdomen.     Many people throughout the country do large volume liposuction.  Talk to your local plastic surgeon.

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction does good for active patients regardless of their weight.

+2

If you are active and exercising, then liposuction can help with those stubborn areas to help you feel better and look better.  The results can be very dramatic and is so safe now-a-days , especially if done under local anesthesia and you are back to work in 2 days.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction Candidate?

+1

In regards to your weight, as long as you are at a stable weight where you plan to be long-term you may be a good candidate for liposuction procedure.  I would suggest in-person consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Liposuction at 40 pounds overweight

+1

Yes, liposuction is not a replacement for diet and exercise.  You might get a wonderful result in the areas you mention, but it could be that you will put the weight back on.  If a sizable volume of fat is removed, then your body will need less net calories to keep the weight off. So if you don't exercise a little more, or eat a little less than before liposuction, your net calories will be the same as before surgery, and as you said your weight has been stable, then those calories will have to go somewhere and you'll see the results not last. Often, patients who undergo liposuction, and see for the first time, reduction in the stubborn areas they had wanted to reduce for years but couldn't, become more motivated to maintain this good result.  They start to exercise more and watch their diet. Good luck!

Ronald Shelton, MD

Liposuction in the overweight patient

+1

Liposuction should be done when a platient is at a weight they can reasonably maintain long term.  Sometimes that weight is not the "ideal weight".  If you are healthy and have realistic expectations (sounds like you do), you are probably a candidate for lipo.  Neck lipo can work wonders for some heavy patients if the skin tone is good.  Whether or not abdominal lipo will be helpful depends on the location of your excess fat.  If the excess is in the subcutaneous fat, lipo will help.  If your fat is intraabdominal (belly fat), lipo won't help.  A well trained plastic surgeon can tell the difference. 

Some of my most grateful lipo patients have been overweight and they are just so glad to get rid of some of the problem areas that interfere with clothing selection.

Good luck,

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Am I a candidate for liposuction being 40 lbs over weight?

+1
You BMI is 29 therefore you are not considered obese. I think as long as your weight is stable you can benefit from liposuction.

Farhad Rafizadeh, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Absolute Weight is not important- Stability of Weight is.

+1

Your absolute weight is not as important as your ability to maintain that weight. Lipo results change as you gain or lose more than a few pounds from the point after surgery. Being able to maintain weight is key.

As long as your expectations are reasonable and you have fat in the areas to be treated with good skin tone, you should be OK.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction- are you a good candidate if you are overweight?

+1

Based on your question,  it sounds like you have reasonable expectations and goals, and may very well benefit from liposuction. Often liposuction of the neck can offer a dramatic improvement in overall appearance. Also, liposuction of targeted areas when your weight is stable is very reasonable . Everybody has a different weight at which they live, and as long as you understand the goals and limitations of liposuction for your body in particular, you can have a very positive outcome with liposuction. The key points you mention are recognizing liposuction is not a weight loss tool, that you are active, are happy with your weight, have a stable weight, and want focused areas of liposuction for specific reasons. Good luck!

Anita Patel, MD

Liposuction on the Rubenesque.

+1

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and we plastic surgeons know that better than anyone.  We sometimes get rotund patients who want to use liposuction as a weight loss tool.  You aren't like that.  You know it isn't for generalized "shrinking" of your size, but for specific target figure flaws.  As long as you have no medical issues and pass medical clearance with your internist, it's a go!

Ritu Chopra, MD

+1

Better to lose at least 20 pounds. But if you can not liposuction will give you a slight improvement. In office 4 liters can be removed. In hospital Large Volume Liposuction can be done removing 10 to 12 liters, but long recovery time and increased risks.