Am I Candidate for a Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I am 33 years old and have had two vertical c-sections. I am 5'5 and currently weight 185 lbs. Am I candidate for a full TT and possible lipo? If so what is the typical recovery time for this? Thank you.

Am I a Candidate for a Tummy Tuck?

+2

Dear Ready4change13,  Thank you for your photo and detailed information.  You appear to be a very good candidate for an extended tummy tuck-that is a tummy tuck with the incision extending beyond the hip margins-in combination with liposuction.  The longer incision is required to remove all of the extra, loose skin without leaving dog-ear deformities after your surgery. The liposuction and the tightening of the abdominal muscles will enhance your waistline contour.  All of the skin from the top of your pubic area to and above the navel will be removed including your old c-section scars.

While you would get a very good result with an extended tummy tuck at your current weight, if you could drop your weight by another 10-20 pounds before your surgery, your results would only be enhanced.

To accurately know what your results would be with a tummy tuck, an examination is required.  Please consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon to learn what options are best for you.  Hope this helps.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+2

You are a good candidate for tummy tuck, recovery time can vary from one patient to another but is is usually around 2-3 weeks. Best Wishes!!

Australia Fragoso Baez, MD

Candidate for tummy tuck?

+2

I do think you are an excellent candidate.  You are above your ideal weight, but could safely undergo  a tummy tuck at your current weight. However, if you can lose a few pounds that is even better.   The vertical scar and virtually  all of the skin and fat between your belly button and pubic bone could be excised, which with muscle tightening would give you a major improvement. However, the fullness above your belly button would only be modestly improved without weight loss. Liposuction could be done at the same time.

Thomas A. Mustoe, MD, FACS

A tummy tuck will help

+2

I like my TT patients to have BMIs below 30 -- you are a candidate but loss of a few more pounds and then a full TT and lipo of the flanks will help you. Recovery is 1-3 weeks.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Tummy tuck candidates have loose skin of the belly and lax muscles

+2

From you photo, it does appear that you'd benefit greatly from a standard tummy tuck with lipo of the flanks.  However, I can't give you and exact answer without examining you first.  A tummy tuck would help get rid of all of the excess skin below your belly button, tighten your abdominal muscles, and the lipo would contour your hips nicely.  Good luck!  

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck

+1

Based on your photos, you will likely benefit the most from a full tummy tuck +/- liposuction of your waist/flanks.  A tummy tuck can be an effective tool for shaping and sculpting the body for better body appearance and improved self esteem.

In terms of recovery, my patients are encouraged to walk immediately after surgery.  But, patients walk flexed at their waist and lie in the lawnchair position.  Most patients can straighten gradually over the next 5-7 days.  Most patients are feeling pretty good in 1 week.  But I recommend no heavy lifting our strenuous activity for 5-6 weeks.  Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu

houston, tx

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Can a Tummy Tuck be done after 2 Vertical C-Sections? Ask Dr Ellen

+1

Hello ready4change13,

A couple to questions for you:

1.  You're still quite young- do you think you might like to have more children?  It's best to wait for this operation until you are confident that you're passed that phase.

2.  Do you think you could lose a few more pounds?  Getting closer to your ideal body weight is always the best way to go.

3.  Are you in good health?  I hope so!

Based on your photo, it looks like a full abdominoplasty would be your best choice. Unlike more limited procedures, this will remove all of the skin and fatty tissue between your navel and pubic area, reposition your navel, tighten the underlying muscle and raise the pubic area.   In all likelihood, this would be best achieved with a longer incision so that some of the lax skin in your flank areas can be contoured smoothly.  I often perform liposuction with tummy tuck surgery to further sculpt the flank and hip area.

The recovery time is a minimum of 2-3 weeks but expect the final result after 6-9 months.  I have ladies where a custom girdle during the first few weeks for support and compression.  I often place drains for about a week.

Thanks for asking!  Dr Ellen

Ellen A. Mahony, MD
Westport Plastic Surgeon

Candidate

+1

Yes, you are, provided you have health contra-indications. You will be also happy with the outcome. 

M. Vincent Makhlouf, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck Candidate

+1

Based on your photos you are a candidate for a tummy tuck and liposuction. In my past, I have combined these procedures without additional risk. Expect a 7-10 day downtime and 6 weeks for full muscle healing. All the best.

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon

Am I Candidate for a Tummy Tuck?

+1

If you have reached a stable weight, tummy tuck and liposuction of the flanks and back would be the procedures of choice.  Find a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and liposuction procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA