Who is a Candidate for a Nostril Tuck?

I am a female and i recently had rhinoplasty, I am extremely swollen but i feel the bottom of my nose is still wide? I know swelling has to do with it but he didnt make it less wide from the bottom. I am wondering if a nostrill tuck is something PS typically do during a rhinoplasty and if so what makes you a candidate? I am just unsure if this should have been done.

Alar base reduction can change the basal profile

+1

Alar base reduction must be done conservatively and with great care.  After a rhinoplasty procedure often the relationship of the structures at the base of the nose are favorably altered and no alar base work is required. However, alar base reduction can be a valuable procedure to balance the nose.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Changing nostril shape

+1

I prefer not to alter the shape of the nostril at the time of the original rhinoplasty. I wait until the tip has settled and presented itself to the point that I feel comfortable taking this step. Why do I stage this? First of all it is not reversible so if one takes this step it must be done as precisely as possible. Secondly, when I change the projection, orientation and shape of the nasal tip it will change the shape of the nostril in a way that is unpredictable which harkens back to my first point. Finally it is a patient friendly step, can easily be done under straight local, with minimal bruising, swelling and post op discomfort. So give yourself 2-4 months and then talk it over with your surgeon. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nostril tuck can be added anytime after rhinoplasty swelling has resolved, and can be done under local anesthesia.

+1

You are wise to note that swelling is affecting how your nose looks now, and that it is premature to decide whether or not you "need" additional nostril narrowing via Weir excisions.

Yes, this can indeed be done at the time of rhinoplasty surgery, but only if it is definitively decided ahead of time that this is something both appropriate and desirable. Otherwise, since this part of the surgery is done via separate incisions, it is not affected by the remainder of the procedure, or vice versa, and may reasonably be deferred until the results of the "main" rhinoplasty help you and your surgeon to decide if Weir excisions are the way to go.

The reason to defer this decision until you see the results of your rhinoplasty is evident in your final sentence: "I am just unsure if this should have been done." Your surgeon must have agreed with this assessment or simply acceeded to your own hesitancy--wisely avoiding something that cannot be undone or "taken back" but can always be added later (under local anesthesia, usually for minimal additional cost) if you both decide this is what you want.

Don't consider making the decision until your nose swelling is "down" enough to see how you really feel about this! Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Who is a Candidate for a Nostril Tuck?

+1

Weir incisions, to narrow nostril flare, can be performed using internal or external incisions but not while the nose is still swollen post Rhinoplasty.  You might want to discuss this with your Rhinoplasty Surgeon