Am I candidate for Invisalign? (photo)

a 23 yr old female looking to straighten my teeth. Ive been doing alot of reserch on invisalign and have even gone to a consultation once earlier this year. I have a canine tooth that is completely sideways, a slite under bite and crowed teeth. Im hopeful that I'm a candidate for invisalign, but after going to that consultation they told me that I would need braces first. I honestly rather wait until invisalign became more advanced then to wear braces. Help?!

Am I candidate for Invisalign (canine turned sideways, under bite and crowding ?

+2

You are a potential candidate for Invisalign but you will definitely have to do some prep work before Invisalign can be used.

Your rotated canine, under bite and crowding are all indications that your upper arch is underdeveloped. A simple removable appliance will develop your upper arch to eliminate the crowding that is blocking out your canine and giving you an under bite.

After your upper arch is fully developed you can use Invisalign to straighten your teeth but it would be virtually impossible to attempt a 90 degree rotation of your canine with Invisalign alone. If you don't want to wear conventional braces then another option would be to restore the canine with a veneer after the rest of your teeth are properly aligned.

Good luck!

Tustin Cosmetic Dentist

How long for invisalign

+2

hard to tell looking at your photos but if your canine tooth is "sideways" then it is rotated around 90 degrees. Invisalign has a hard time rotating canines, and can only rotate maybe 2 degrees per aligner so this would mean 45 sets of aligners (at least 90 weeks!)...since the rest of your problems would take many less aligners sometimes it is best to rotate the canine with partial braces first and then finish in Invisalign

Of course you can just correct the other teeth and leave the canine rotated...gets you a fair result and this can be done strictly with Invisalign but, if the canine is really sideways I would not try to do this totally with Invisalign and I don't think that there is any breakthrough in Invisalign in the future that will change this

Saint Louis Orthodontist

Hoping for #Invisalign

+1
Based on your photo, I think you would be an excellent candidate for Invisalign with one condition.  That condition being that you would have to get your twisted canine veneered or crowned.  It would be extremely difficult for Invisalign to just twist that tooth around properly, so a veneer on that tooth by a cosmetic dentist would be highly recommended.  I have found that when you try to move canine teeth, their extremely long roots make them very stubborn teeth that tend to move right back, once the braces are removed.  For this reason, I wouldn't try to twist that canine; I would simply get the Invisalign for about 9-12 months, then have the canine veneered at the end of treatment.  Your veneer should last 20+ years if done correctly and proper dental hygiene is maintained afterwards.  Good luck to you and I hope this helps. You can "Follow" me on Real Self to ask more questions.
Sarah Thompson, DMD
Saint Louis Cosmetic Dentist

Candidate for Invisalign?

+1
Different Invisalign providors can do very different things with Invisalign, depending upon their experience and training. Just because 1 providor said NO, doesn't mean that a more experienced providor won't be able to work with Invisalign. From your photo it is difficult to see the "sideways canine".
New York Cosmetic Dentist