Candidate for Donut or Crescent Lift? (photo)

Hello, I am 29 years old, 5'2" and 32D from Canada, seeking a breast lift, NO augmentation. Photos attached. Distance from neck to nipple is 22cm ish. I've lost about 20 pounds over the years and, growing up, I think I was not wearing a nearly supportive-enough bra. I have loose skin above the nipple and stretchmarks. Like everyone else, I want minimal scarring and am wondering if I would be a good candidate for the donut or cresent lift. Also, best solutions for stretchmarks? Thank you

Candidate for Donut or Crescent Lift?

+2

Thank you for your question and the attached photos.

If you are content with your current breast size, there is no reason that she shouldn't expect a nice improvement with a doughnut mastopexy. This works well when the nipple and areola don't have to be moved very far and when there is not a large amount of skin excess. 

The crescent lift but probably not do enough of a lift. In addition I find patients are generally last pleased with an incision part way around the areola and one all the way around.

Candidate for Circumareolar Breast Lifting?

+2

Thank you for the question in pictures.

Although you may be an excellent candidate for circumareolar breast lifting surgery, whether you should undergo the operation or not will depend on your specific goals. I would suggest that you meet with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons to discuss these goals, surgical options, as well as a potential risks/complications associated with each option.  Make sure you consider the presence of scars,  the potential abnormal scarring, areolar spreading, areola asymmetry…as you make your decisions.  Personally, ( generally speaking) I do not recommend the “crescent” breast lift,  because of the high incidence of unsatisfactory  outcomes.

Purse-string (donut) lift may be ideal

+2

If you are happy with your volume and are simply looking to improve the shape of your breasts with no more than an incision around the areola then the purse-string (donut) mastopexy is your only option.  Make sure you go to a board certified plastic surgeon that can show you good before and after photos of purse-string mastopexy patients.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Breast lift with minimal scarring

+2

Dear Baffled,

Thank you for your question and photos.

You seem to be an ideal candidate for the Mini Ultimate Breast Lift. The Mini UBL does not require a vertical scar to successfully lift and move breast tissue (in your case, moving it towards the breast bone). This is achieved by a series of internal straps fashioned from your own tissue to permanently secure your tissue and prolong the life of your lift. Your only incision is that of a circumareolar incision. A crescent or donut mastopexy can only remove excess skin and move the nipple/areola complex.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for Donut or Crescent Lift?

+2

Thanks for the photos. Maybe a donut lift would help but either a L-shaped lift or full anchor with scars could be your only option. Seek in person consults 

Breast lift and implants

+2

If I do a small lift with implants, I prefer doing a circumareola lift rather than a crescent.  As for stretch marks they can not be removed.

What Type Of Lift Do I Need?

+2
Without doing a face to face evaluation and more measurements, it is hard to give you an absolute answer.  I do not recommend a crescent lift as your areolar are already large, and a crescent lift would only make your areolar larger and not give you very much lift.  A standard mastopexy with an anchor scar would certainly get your breasts in the appropriate position, but it might be more surgery than you really want to go through. 
If by the term donut mastopexy, you are referring to a circumferential or Benelli mastopexy, I think this is a reasonable alternative which will leave minimal scarring and will correct some, but not all, of your droop (ptosis). 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

The best technique for a breast lift (mastopexy)

+2

Dear Baffled One

Breast lifts are, like so many operations, a compromise - the less scarring you have, you compromise on shape; whilst if you are prepared for more scars, the shape of your breast will be optimised.

That said, looking at your photos, you would be a candidate for either a circumareolar (doughnut) mastopexy or a circumvertical mastopexy (with the additional vertical scar going down from the nipple to the breast crease.

What I said above applies with both these options. The more powerful and longer lasting of the two is the circumvertical, but you have to accept the additional scar. This scar fades with time and, in my opinion, is worth the trade.

Regarding your stretch marks, these are a result of a breakdown of collagen links within the skin (the building blocks of the skin structure), so no cream or laser is going to remove these. Unfortunately there is no reliably good treatment available for them (despite what many claim!)

Good luck with your decision, and I hope this helps

Marc Pacifico, MD, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift procedure

+2

You appear to have some asymmetry and if you want smaller areola size I would perform a vertical mastopexy. No good treatment for stretch marks uless they are red then laser can remove the redness. Good luck and please see a board certified plastic surgeon.

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

+1
First off, a crescent lift is worthless, a sham lift, don't do it. If you go to a surgeon with experience with a periareolar lift, then you could get some benefit. But know the limitations including flattening of the breast, minimal to moderate lifting and a puckered look around the areola due to pleating of the skin gathered around the nipple. A vertical, or lollipop lift will result in a more fundamentally sound lift with better shape (more projection and narrow shaping of the breast), a more crisp and round areola as the stress of the lift lies on the vertical scar. The downside is the vertical scar, which will be visible, permanent and can take up to a year to mature.

While I can see the merit in avoiding an implant, IMHO, doing either lift without an appropriately sized implant would result in only mild rejuvenation of the breasts, so you may want to consider all options.

Joel Patrick Maier, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon