Would I Be a Candidate for Breast Lift/areola Reduction? (photo)

I'm only 21 years old but I've been insecure about my breasts for a long time, specifically the size of my areolas and the lack of fullness on the underside of my breasts. Would I be a candidate for such areola reduction or a breast lift? What kinds of scars do these leave? Thanks.

Would I be a candidate for breast lift/areola reduction?

+1
Thank you for your question! It is normal for the breast to lose its firmness and perkiness over time, which is accentuated with age, pregnancy/breast feeding, weight gain/loss, and gravity. This ultimately results in ptosis, or sagging, of the breast with a “deflated” appearance. Women often seek the mastopexy, or breast lift, procedure to regain the previous youthful appearance of her breasts and desire that uplifted and perky appearance of her breasts. Women report increased confidence, self-esteem, and femininity once she achieves this desired shape and fullness. Breast lifts may or may not be performed with implants – the implant would add increased size but also greater fullness in the upper pole of the breasts which creates more cleavage. The implant itself will add these things - given your photos, a breast lift alone is a reasonable decision. It is also common for the areola to enlarge and stretch during these changes. The lift will also serve to raise the nipple areolar complex to its appropriate position above the breast crease and at the most projecting portion. In addition the areola size will be decreased, which is often desired by the woman.

These see procedures will require incisions. Your implant can likely be placed within your breast lift incision, if you desire implants. Given your photo, you will likely need at least an incision around your nipple and vertically down your breast, with possibly a 'T' incision, for optimal shape.

The decision for a breast lift will be up to you...depending on how much you are bothered about the shape as well as your concerns. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon well-versed in breast surgery and s/he will assist you in deciding if a mastopexy will be the right decision for you. Thank you for your question! Hope that this helps. Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Areola Reduction in 21 year old

+1

The areolae can definitely be reduced with periareolar scars.  This gives a little bit of lift as well.  To give a little more lift of the entire breast a vertical reduction could be performed. 

Breast lift candidate?

+1

Thanks for your question.  I believe that based on your photos that you would be a candidate for an areolar reduction.  An areolar reduction will leave a permanent circumferential scar around the entire areola.  You will be able to lift the breast approximately 4 cm with that type of incision.  If you feel that you need more lift of the breast you will need to consider additional scars on the undersurface of the breast.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift in 21 year old.

+1

By your photo you appear to be a great candidate for a breast lift. You have ample volume, but the nipple areolar position appears to be a bit low. Using a lollipop type lift (around the areola to reduce size and extension in the vertical area beneath) will give you a nice result. Future pregnancies and aging will change the breast, but will be less this type of procedure now.

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Vertical breast lift

+1

It looks like you may be a good candidate for  vertical breast lift which would place permanent incisions around the border of the areola and a vertical line from the inferior border of the areola to the breast fold.

Breast Lift

+1

Widened areolas and drooping of the breasts can be treated safely with a breast lift.

You will likely benefit from a more stable and aesthetically pleasing shape with a verttical lift but an examination would be needed to weigh other options with less scarring. It is best to consult a local Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to review your options in order to make the best informed decision.

Pedy Ganchi, MD
Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for Breast Lift?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

You will be best off visiting with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons;  ask to see lots of examples of their work helping patients in your situation. During this consultation process you will gain a lot of information as to what surgical options are available and what the downsides ( of potential risk/complications)  of each surgical option are.

Generally speaking, the type of breast lift that a patient would benefit from will depend on the degree of breast ptosis (“drooping").   In other words, the more “sagging” a specific patient's breasts demonstrate, the more breast lifting is necessary.

As you know, all forms of breast lifting involves some amount of skin excision.   The skin excision serves to “tighten up” the breast skin envelope. How much skin needs to be removed will depend on each specific patient's situation. In other words, some patients require more “lifting”  and have the need for additional incisions. Generally, these incisions range from around the areola, vertical breast incisions, and transverse incisions (“anchor”).

Most patients (If properly selected and who are doing the operations and the right time of their lives  psychosocially) accept the scars associated with breast augmentation/breast lifting surgery as long as they are happy with the improvement in contour, size, and symmetry. This acceptance of the scars is the essential “trade-off” associated with many of the procedures we do and the field of plastic surgery.

Vertical breast lift to give the best shape for sagging breasts

+1

It is not unusual to see a young woman with congenitally sagging breasts.  Your breasts seem full but your nipple and areola are well below the crease under the breasts.   If you are satisfied with the size of your breasts then you should consider only a breast lift.   Unfortunately you are not a good candidate for a doughnut type breast lift.  In fact that type of breast lift will leave you with breasts that are not sufficiently lifted and the final result will likely cause your areolas to get larger over time.  My suggestion would be to consider a vertical type breast lift using your own breast tissue to give you better upper pole fullness and to place your nipple and areola at the appropriate level.  This procedure is termed a vertical breast lift with a dermal pedicle autoaugmentation.  

Breast Lift Scars

+1

You are a good candidate for breast lift, in that the improvement in shape is likely to more than compensate for the new scars.  The quality of your scars will depend on your natural tendency to scar, the location (breasts), the quality of healing and degree of tension on your skin incision, and on post-operative care.

Do you have other scars on your body?  This will give you a clue as to your natural scar tendency.

Be sure to discuss the use of silicone sheet dressings with your surgeon in the post-operative period, as this is an additional cost of surgery and may substantially improve your result.

Good luck!

Michael Kreidstein, MD

Hello

+1

We believe a modest implant and a Lollipop lift would give you what you are seaching for. A small implant will give you superior fullness and the lift will help with the sag and reduce your areolas. You should see a Certified PS to help achive the look you want. Good luck.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS