Am I the Right Candidate for Buccal Fat Removal?

Hello. I am a 26 year old female at my ideal weight. However I feel I have small jowl-like bulges of fat on my lower face which I dislike. Would buccal fat removal give me a more chiselled look? As well as buccal fat removal,various doctors have also suggested facial liposuction, jaw muscle reduction via botox or surgery and even jaw bone shaving. I'm extremely confused now and don't even know exactly what it is that is 'wrong' with my face anymore. Please help!

Candidate for Buccal Fat Removal

+2

Hello London. It is difficult to determine from your photo if you are a candidate for buccal fat pad removal. The best view to determine this is a frontal one. You can simulate the effect of removing your fat pads by pursing your lips and lightly suctioning your cheeks. Buccal fat pad removal results in a more triangular lower face. I would not recommend liposuction of the face. Botox injections to the masseter muscle also helps to decrease the roundness of the face. From El Paso.

El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Choosing a candiate for buccal fat removal

+1

Patients must be selected properly for buccal fat pad removal, as chosing an inappropriate candidate can lead to a premature gaunt look in the face.

Critera to see if candidate for buccal fat pad removal:

1.  Family history of "full" faces-  Families with full faces who age with full faces are likely to benefit from buccal fat removal.  Families whose fuller faces eventually turn gaunt should avoid this procedure
2.  Buccal fat excess-  There are multiple fat pads in the face.  The key is to determine if buccal fat pad removal is beneficial

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Buccal Fat Removal for a 26 y.o. Asian female

+1

Dear London9490,

With the photograph you have shared, it is hard to give you a definitive answer to whether Buccal fat pad removal is the best procedure for you to achieve the ideal midface contour or not.

Nonetheless, you may be a good candidate for this procedure performed conservatively and supplemented with Botox injection and additional facial sculpting procedures.

Definitely, I encourage you to seek a consultation with an extensively experienced surgeon who will guide you to make a well informed decision.

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

+1

First you must be sure if these are the real problems before deciding on surgical correction. Some Asian patients have excessive buccal fat pad which can be easily removed and therefore get a more triangular face. The other procedures are also done particularly in patients who have prominant angle of jaw, which is in fact desirable in Caucasian patients who request jaw implants to enhance these.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Buccal Fat removal is not to be taken lightly

+1

If "you don't even know what is wrong with your face anymore", maybe any permanent plastic surgery is a bad idea.  You really need to be confident and certain that you are doing the right thing for the right reason and that you will predictably be happy.   If there is any doubt, don't do anything permanent.  Sticking to Botox for Masseter muscles is temporary, but I see why you are confused.  In my view, masseter injection makes you look less sculpted, not more chiseled.  Building on your already good cheek bones and add to your angularity, and if a temporary filler is used, you don't have to worry about regretting the decision.  My point is, you must be really sure about it before having surgery.

Ritu Chopra, MD

Buccal fat pad reduction

+1

Reducing the buccal fat pad usually is done for the effect of creating a more chiseled appearance of the cheek and cheek bone. In your case it seems that you already have fairly good definition there. I would probably not recommend that procedure for you. In my practice I reserve buccal fat pad reduction for patients with a really full cheek.

I hope this info helps!

Adam Rubinstein, MD