Would I Be a Candidate to Have Bags Removed from Under Both Eyes at my Age (66)? (photo)

Also, will they return, once removed? Can anything be done for upper eyelid droop?

Would I Be a Candidate to Have Bags Removed from Under Both Eyes at my Age (66)?

+1

Yes, 66 is not an issue for lower eyelid surgery (Blepharoplasty) however, the right eyelid does show malposition which makes the procedure a bit more complicated.

Yes you are a good candidate, but some key things you should know before surgery

+1

Based on the photos you submitted, you are a very good candidate for the reduction of bags under the eyes at the age of 66. It’s clear that you have light skin, some fine lines and wrinkles and even puffiness under the eyes. As a cosmetic oculofacial plastic surgeon for 20 years, I want to stress to you a couple of key elements in making the right choice when you finally decide to have the lower eyelids treated.

First of all, at this stage of your life, it would not be surprising to me if you have issues with dry eyes. Even if your eyes are watery all the time, it is common for people to have dry eyes and have reflexive tearing. The lower eyelid position is also important to get proper lubrication of the eyes. So when people have dry eyes, foreign body sensation and other problems, aesthetics become secondary. In my practice, people come to us from all around the world with one particularly common problem and that problem is lower eyelid retraction.

The lower eyelid sits against the eye like a hammock and has some key structures that need to be supported. When any type of eyelid surgery is performed, it can affect the underlying structure and support of the eyelid. When that happens, the surgeon who anticipates these issues can often do procedures to prevent these problems from happening. You have two choices: one option is the transcutaneous approach which means making an incision on the outside and underneath the eyelashes, or a transconjunctival approach which means sculpting the fat pockets from the inside of the eyelid with no outside incision.

In my practice, when someone comes to me in their 60’s, very often there is looseness or laxity of the lateral canthal tendon, so I have to do some kind of canthoplasty or canthopexy type of procedure in order to support the eyelid. I look to see whether or not the skin has elasticity. Sometimes, the skin can be wrinkled and at the same time very stiff. When the skin is very stiff, it’s prone to pull downward. In the attempt to remove wrinkles and improve skin smoothness, a lot of plastic surgeons will remove skin and cause the eyelids to pull down.

However, I cannot give you a clear recommendation without a proper examination. When I evaluate a patient, I look at the eyelid tone, strength of the lateral canthal tendon, and skin elasticity which can't be by just reviewing a photo. I would suggest that you do a few consultations and meet with people who have extensive experience in cosmetic eyelid surgery and are able to handle various level of complexity and complications should they occur.  I hope that was helpful, and thank you for your question.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower Eyelid Bag Removal at Age 66

+1

Age is irrelevant as to whether you can have lower eyelid bags removed. You are a good candidate for the procedure which removes fat, minimal skin and tightens the corners so the risk of lower eyelid droop is minimized after surgery. If adequately removed, the bags will not return for the remainder of your life.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Candidate for lower lid blepharoplasty

+1

Yes, you are a candidate for lower lid blepharoplasty.  To optimize your results and prevent sagging of the lower lids after the fat is removed, I would suggest fat grafting or repositioning some of the fat from your lower lids into the sulcus below the "bags" as well as a canthopexy (tightening of the lower lid) to reinforce the position of the lower lid.

Please see an expericed who is well versed in these procedures.

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for blepharoplasty?

+1

You do appear to be a candidate for blepharoplasty.  On the lower eyelids, a combination of fat and skin would need to be removed.  The upper eyelids could be improved with a forehead/brow lift and/or upper blepharoplasty.  Your eyebrows are not symmetric, so this would need to be taken into account as well.  If you had the procedure done, I doubt that you need to have the procedure repeated at a later date, as the results should be fairly long lasting.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon