I have this mole on my back that started getting itchy about 5 months ago. Can this mole be cancerous? (photo)

I have this mole on my back that started getting itchy about 5 months ago. It eventually stiopped and I forgot about it until someone pointed out to me how bad it looks. Can this be cancer?

Mole

+1

I would highly recommend that you see a board certified dermatologist for an evaluation and possible biopsy.

Changing Moles Should Be Evaluuated

+1

Any mole that is changing in appearance or size, becomes itchy or bleeds could represent a skin cancer. If you are concerned about a new or changing spot on your skin, the best thing you can do is have it evaluated and potentially biopsied by a dermatologist.

Adam J. Mamelak, MD
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Warning signs of a cancerous mole

+1

To be safe, you should have this mole evaluated by a board certified dermatologist. Please use the ABCDE's as your guide for when to be concerned about moles: A for Asymmetry; B for Irregular Borders; C for Black or uneven Colors; D for diameter greater than a pencil eraser; and E for a growth that is Evolving or changing. If necessary, it is an extremely simple five minute procedure for a dermatologist to remove the mole using either a "punch" or a "shave" biopsy which typically leaves a minimal scar. The mole can then be checked microscopically for reassurance. I would not recommend being evaluated by a plastic surgeon as recommended below as they rarely do shave biopsies.

You can follow the video link below to learn more about identifying the changes in moles that are suspicious for skin cancer.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Changing Mole

+1

I agree that you should have this mole evaluated by a dermatologist.  It may not be a mole at all, it could be a vascular growth.  Using a dermatoscope, the dermatologist will have a good idea if this mole should be removed

Jay S. Gottlieb, DO
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologist

Mole

+1

Any new mole or mole that has changed, increase or decrease in color or size, irrigular edges, bleeding should be removed for biobsy. Have your dermatologist or plastic surgeon look and examine the mole, then they can make an intelligent decision.

Is this mole cancerous

+1

None of us can truly answer that for you without an in person consultation and a possible biopsy. The best thing to do for your health and peace of mind is to make an appointment with a dermatologist for an exam and possible biopsy.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD