Will Pulsed Dye Laser Get Rid of Scar on Face?

I had cancer on my face. Had the surgery to remove it. Now it looks like I have a lightning bolt on my face. The dermatologist did some sanding on it. Doesn't look much better. Went to a cosmetic laser center. He did a laser procedure still isn't much better. In a couple of weeks I am having the pulsed dye laser treatment done. Do you think this will work to get rid of the scar. I just want it gone. I had the surgery a year ago. Please respond! Thank you,

Pulsed dye laser can be helpful

+1

Scars will often improve in appearance on their own up to one year post surgery so keep that in mind.  Pulsed dye laser is often helpful at reducing the redness associated with a younger scar and some feel it helps the scar as well though that's not so readily apparent.

Other scar revision options (besides giving it time to improve on its own) include the laser as well as some kind of dermabrasion or even surgical revision depending on what's making the scar noticeable.

Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

Pulse Dye Laser reduces Facial Scars

+1

We use the Pulse Dye Laser to reduce facial scars, frequently following skin cancer surgery or laceration repairs.  It is best to begin treatments w/ in 6 months, as emerging science shows better responses w/ earlier laser therapy. It will reduce the redness, swelling and appearance of your scar.

Edward J. Gross, MD
Orlando Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pulsed Dye Laser for Surgical Scars

+1

I use the pulsed dye laser often for treatment of post-surgical scars.  It can help reduce redness and also soften the area through collagen remodeling and allow the scar tissue to resemble more normal appearing skin.  In general, the sooner you treat a scar the higher the chances of success.  Given the low risks associated with pulsed dye laser treatment and the improvements typically gained with this laser, it sounds like a very reasonable course of action.  Occasionally a fractionated erbium or carbon dioxide laser may also be of value with these post-surgical scars to further improve the overall cosmesis.

Jason R. Lupton, MD
San Diego Dermatologist