Would Having Cancer Affect the Way a Facial Fat Transfer Would Survive?

Had a mini facelift back in March 2011. Facial fat transfer also done at the same time. Results were gorgeous. By late May, about half of the fat transfer had dissolved. Found out last week, I have cancer in the left lobe of my thyroid. I had the plastic surgery not knowing I had developed cancer. Would more of the fat grafting had survived if I were cancer-free? I realize the thyroid isn't located on the face, but wd a facial fat transfer dissolve quicker from a patient w/cancer?

Fat Transfer

+1

In my opinion, I do not think the cancer would affect the fat survivability. Thank you for your question and good luck with everything.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Fat transfer graft survival

+1

I would not expect your thyroid cancer to have affected your fat grafting results. In my experience after just 4 months you have some more time (up to 18 months) for the fat grafts to fully take.

Regardless, certainly go ahead with treating your thyroid cancer. Thankfully the vast majority are curable.

Web reference: http://www.drlamperti.com/facial-plastic-surgery/facial-fat-grafting

Fat Transfer

+1

The good news is that most thyroid cancers are curable.

The thyroid cancer did not have any effect on the take of fat graft. Treat your cancer then consult your plastic surgeon if you want more fat transfer.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.