Best Treatment/Prevention for Scarring After Breast Reduction? (photo)

22yr old, going from 30F to a full B/small C cup, hoping to relieve some chronic pain, and gain confidence. Is there anything in my diet I should make sure I include in the months leading up to/ right after surgery? Supplements I should take or specific vitamins I should get more of to help the healing process? I have read about Rose hip oil, shea butter, Silocone sheets, Bio Oil, Mederma, ScarGuard, Aloe Vera, Vaseline, Honey, etc. After the surgery what is best to help diminish scars the best?

Scar management

+1

I generally recommend starting scar massage therapy approximately 4-6 weeks after your surgery.  There is published evidence supporting the report of Silicone topical therapy to help soften and fade scars.   However, we still don't know exactly why silicone helps.  There are ample theories.  I really believe its the mechanical massaging motion that really helps with scars.   Remember, it can take 6-12 months for your scars to mature and fade.  

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Sc

+1

Breast reduction surgery is one of the highest patient satisfaction procedures in plastic surgery! Some patients even feel relief of back and neck pain as they wake up from surgery due to the reduction in breast weight. I certainly hope you have this experience as well. In terms of scarring, the most important aspect is to keep the breast supported during the first 3-6 months of healing with a supportive bra. This will prevent the scars from widening due to tension. Additionally, massage and silicone scar sheets are the best methods to help flatten scars. As far as vitamins/supplements are concerned, eating a healthy, well balanced diet and taking a multivitamin is your safest option pre and post-operatively. Many supplements have ingredients within them that can cause bleeding during surgery and thus it is safer to avoid all of them other than a multivitamin for approximately a week to 10 days before and after surgery. Good luck! 

Tarrytown Plastic Surgeon