Breast Revision from a Silicone 365cc Mod to a 550cc or 610cc High Profile to Help W/ Slight Droopiness? (photo)

I am a 36y/o w/ one 5y/o who has always had a case of slight ptosis. I had my first Sx May' 12 and chose to not have a lift bc of scaring and ultimately went w/ a silicone 365cc mod under the muscle w/ an inframmary incision. The dr did a great job except that they aren't nearly full enough altogether and especially on top. I've gained 5lbs and now weigh 140lbs and am 5'2 but do want to lose 10lbs, I lose in my breasts and face 1st so is a 550 or 610 high profile be appropriate? Sx is Dec5. Thx

Revision breast surgery

+2

I would not recommend going with larger implants.  They will make your breasts sag even worse.  The option I would consider is undergoing a lift which can probably be accomplished with your current implants.  If you are not willing to have the scars from a lift, you are better off leaving them alone than going with larger implants.

Very large breast implants will give you temporary fullness but they will quickly cause more sagginess

+2

Larger breast implants will fill out the breast envelope and give you more fullness, but in your case, they may cause the breasts to sag more from the sheer weight of the implants soon after having surgery.

In my opinion, if a patient needs a lift, they should get one and not try to avoid it with a larger implant since the larger implant will always cause the skin to sag more and not fix the problem of sagginess and droop.

Richard H. Lee, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast Revision

+2

This particular question is quite common both on this web site and in the office. Larger breast implants are unlikely to give you the result you think you are getting. Larger implants still have to go in the breast and your breasts are low, so you will have the same basic shape you have now, just larger. And of course larger implants weigh more and you know the weight is not going to go up, it goes down with time. Any time the nipple and a significant part of the breast tissue is below the fold, as in your case, the only way to improve the breast position is with a lift. I appreciate the fact that you want to avoid the scars, but I would caution you to also avoid larger implants.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Going larger?

+1
As a plastic surgeon that specializes in cosmetic breast surgery, I cannot recommend you going larger.  If you think of volume as weight, the additional size will result in larger, heavier, lower breasts.  This will in fact make it harder and worse for you or most women your size and more difficult for any surgeon who would like to make you smaller and more lifted.  Lose the weight, have a lift, and use a textured implant which will not slide down your chest and you will be much happier!

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Large Breast Implants are Not the Answer

+1

A patient who presents with low breasts, larger areola, and who desires more upper breast fullness is more of a candidate for a lift and implant than just an oversized implant alone.  This is because a large implant will fall to the bottom of the low breast pocket, giving a very large,low breast.  The volume will end up in the lower pole of the breast within a short time.  Although patients wish to avoid the incisions of a lift, the look will be far better in shape, upper breast fullness, and longevity!   Best wishes!

Stephen Bresnick, MD

Increase implant size from 365cc to 610cc to treat slight droopiness?

+1

I am sorry to tell you this, but your "droopiness" is not slight...you have significant breast ptosis or sagging with large low areolas and quite a bit of overhang of the breast past the crease beneath the breast. Why is this crease position important? Because the implant sits from this crease upwards and anything but VERY minor overhang will NOT be filled out by the implant.  The upper pole of the breast will get excessively bulgy and the rest of the breast will hang off of the implants.  And the large, heavy implant may just stretch your tissues more and more over time, increasing your sagging.  Few people come in asking for the scars of a breast lift, but these scars generally do well, and a well-shaped breast with the well-healed scars of a breast lift are preferable to a massive breast that hangs excessively low off of a bulgy implant.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Lift?

+1

I am not sure what you are asking, but based solely on the photos, it looks like you can benefit from a lift.

Best Breast Surgery for Me?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Although your goals and reasoning are understandable, I think that you are going down the wrong road. Eventually, when you have reached a long-term stable weight ( and hopefully can avoid further fluctuation) you will benefit from a definitive breast lift/ augmentation procedure. Otherwise, it is very likely that you will end up with large breasts that still sit too low for your liking.

As you know, the trade-off associate with breast lifting surgery is the presence of scars.Most patients (If properly selected and who are doing the operations at the right time of their lives  psychosocially) accept the scars associated with breast augmentation/breast lifting surgery as long as they are happy with the improvement in contour, size, and symmetry. This acceptance of the scars is the essential “trade-off” associated with many of the procedures we do in the field of plastic surgery.

Increasing Breast Implant Volume for Ptosis (Sagging)

+1

If you are happy with the shape of your breasts, and just want them larger, then upsizing your breast implants should help. I don't think it will help with the ptosis, and it may lower the appearance of your nipples. If you are expecting correction of your ptosis, then you need a breast lift. If you are are expecting them to look the same, just larger, then breast augmentation alone is reasonable. Larger implants will increase the likelihood that you will need a breast lift in the future.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Increasing the size of your implants will help somewhat..

+1

In your case, fullness of the top half of the breast and lifting of your breast would best be achieved with a full breast lift with implants.  I understand that you don't want scarring of your breasts and breast augmentation can lift your breasts to a certain degree.  Increasing your implant size will give you as much lift as you can with an implant alone.  If after your next surgery you wanted additional improvement in the shape of your breasts, you would need a lift.  

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon