Sepsis and BA?

I had severe sepsis in February and was hospitalized for 10 days (kidney infection gone bad). Will this effect my ability to have a BA? Will I be more prone to infection or other immune problems? Should I start taking antibiotics before my surgery as a precaution?

What Can You Do to Reduce Your Risk Of Infection?

+2
A prior history of sepsis with a known cause, like kidney infection,  does not preclude you from having breast augmentation.  If you have fully recovered, are in good health, and had no pre-disposing risk factors for developing an infection in the first place, then your risks are about the same as anyone else.  There are things that patients can do to reduce their risk of infection associated with surgery.  It is important to discuss these strategies with your surgeon as they do not apply to all  patients and all surgeries.  If you are diabetic, you should keep your blood sugar in a normal range.  If you are a smoker you should quit before and after surgery.  If you are a weight-loss patient you should be sure that your vitamin and protein levels are within acceptable limits.  For the average patient, one to three doses of antibiotics around the time of surgery is sufficient.  You can lower the bacterial count on your skin with a Hibiclens shower the night before and morning of surgery.  Avoid shaving the areas around the operative site for 72 hours before surgery as this increases bacteria on the skin.  There are also some surgical centers that now screen patients for elective surgery for MRSA or antibiotic resistant bacteria.  This is only necessary if you have a prior history, or a risk factor for carrying the bacteria. 

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Can I have breast augmentation after having a serious infection SEPSIS

+2

A history of Past infections does not mean that you cannot have breast augmentation. Since you had a urinary tract/kidney infection a urinalysis prior to the surgery would be prudent. 

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Sepsis and Breast implant surgery

+2

In general, sepsis per se if cleared and no longer an issue should not prevent you from the potential of having implant surgery. However, details of your sepsis problem is critical to know before considering offering a patient breast implants.

Sepsis and Breast Augmentation

+2

Dear CheekyChick,

Assuming your episode of sepsis was an isolated incident and your immune system is healthy and has returned to normal function, then you should be able to proceed with a breast augmentation procedure.  Your plastic surgeon will probably want to discuss your infection and its management with the treating doctor and will ask your permission to do so.  If there are no ongoing issues with your kidneys and urinary system, then  the normal antibiotic protocol will all that is needed with your surgery.

Hope this helps and best of luck.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

History of sepsis from kidney infection should not prevent breast augmentation

+2

A prior kidney infection is frightening and uncomfortable, yet it is unlikely related to a problem with your immunity, and you should not be at greater risk from infection during a breast augmentation. You can touch base with your primary and he too can explain the cause of the kidney infection and prevention of a recurrence.

Can I have a breast augmentation after having a serious infection?

+2

There are several concerns with placing a medical device after a previous infection.  Things I would want to evaluate are related to blood tests to evaluate signs of infection.  If all of those parameters are normal and there are no other concerns then it is appropriate to be seen and evaluated for breast augmentation by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

Sepsis and BA

+2

A previous and self-limited episode of sepsis should not make you more prone to infection following breast augmentation surgery. I will assume that if any post-illness testing of your urinary tract was ordered that it was done and your doctors feel that your treatment course was satisfactory.

Following the usual antibiotic regimen prescribed by your surgeon should be satisfactory. If any anomalies in the urinary tract were found, the question of antibiotics should be run by your primary physician, urologist or infectious disease specialist.

Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Kidney Infection and Breast Augmentation

+2

If this was an isolated incident of sepsis then standard breast augmentation should be fine.  If there any questions your PS should consult with the physician who managed you septic event to get recommendations for any pre-surgical preparation.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

History of Sepsis; Candidate for Breast Augmentation?

+2

I'm sorry to hear about thw serious medical condition you endured in February. Assuming that you are a healthy  person at this point,  breast augmentation should be an option for you. Again, assuming that you do not have any underlying infection and/or immune system “problem” you should not be at above average risk for infections or other complications.

If in doubt, check with  the physicians who know you best and seek “medical clearance”.

Previous Sepsis Impact on Plannned Breast Augmentation

+2

Thanks for your question!  You'll want to talk to your plastic surgeon; he or she may want to touch base with your other physicians to hear from them that you're clear for surgery, but most otherwise-healthy patients should be at almost no increased risk of infection compared to the general population.  After your urinary tract illness, I bet that'll be good news.  Your surgeon will also take care of any routine antibiotics that may be recommended.

David S. Martin, MD