Will I need a ridiculous amount of Botox to smooth out my horizontal forehead lines? (photo)

I seem to have MANY horizontal forehead lines instead of just a few big ones. Does this mean I will need a lot more units of Botox? I don't seem to have those "11's" but horizontal lines, I got plenty of those. Being 37, I notice that when my forehead muscles relaxes, the wrinkles don't go away anymore. Will Botox help diminish the wrinkles or should I also have fillers/peels to keep them at bay?

Will I need a ridiculous amount of Botox to smooth out my horizontal forehead lines?

+2
You would not need a ridiculous amount of Botox to treat your forehead lines. The deep lines that are caused by raising your eyebrows should improve within three to five days. The fine lines that are imprinted on your skin and present when you relax can take 3-6 months or more to resolve. In rare cases, a small amount of filler is required to completely smooth those lines. In most cases 8-12 units of Botox is adequate for horizontal forehead lines. However, you do not want to over treat this area as too much Botox will cause the eyebrows to droop. Finding the ideal dose is typically straight forward but requires an experienced injector. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Q: Will I need a ridiculous amount of Botox® to smooth out my horizontal forehead lines?

+1
You do not need a lot of Botox®.I would inject about 10 to 15 units to address your horizontal forehead lines. Some of the Botox® will diffuse upwards and some will diffuse downwards to soften the lines.

Botox® starts to work in about 24 to 48 hours, with its full effects visible in about 7days. At that time you would decide whether or not your results were adequate. If not, you could have another treatment to make sure that you're happy with the effects. You want to be careful to not have too much injected at once, as it could result in a feeling of heaviness in the forehead. 

I recommend just gently softening the lines, and keeping a little twinkle, so that you can look naturally surprised at times. You don't want it to be obvious that you have Botox®, as you may want this to be your own little secret. Once you know the dose and what you like, then you will know how much Botox® you'll need for the next round, about three to four months later. 

I would like to add the latest laser technology, PicoSure® FOCUS® laser therapy, can help as well. This will diminish heavy lines and improve skin color, texture and pore size. I treat the whole face and some of my patients say that they feel dazzling afterwards. Facials and Venus Freeze® will also help improve wrinkles and lines. 

Choon Kia Yeo, MD
Honolulu General Surgeon

Botox for forehead wrinkles

+1
You are an excellent candidate for forehead wrinkles.  You will not need a significant amount of Botox to have a good result.  If you maintain the Botox two or three times a year, as needed, you should not need any additional peels or fillers in that area.  Always remember to use sunscreen and a hat to avoid additional aging from the sun.

Michele S. Green, MD

How much botox for forehead lines

+1
I think you'd likely do well with 12 units, and at most 18 units might be required to get a very nice result for the horizontal lines on your forehead. Most importantly, make sure to see an expert injector such as a dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for forehead lines

+1
You would not require much Botox at all to smooth your forehead.  Please consult an experienced injector who would assess your forehead movement to determine the amount of Botox that would be needed.  Undertreatment is better for the forehead lines since more can always be added.  I like to see patients 2 weeks after the treatment to see if a bit more is required.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Many forehead furrows

+1
Although you do have a number of furrows across your forehead, your frontalis muscle does not appear to be thick. So no, you should respond well to 8 to 12 units of Botox or Xeomin, or the equivalent in Dysport.  

Your furrows are rather low, and also not prominent in the upper forehead, so the trick will be getting them to smooth over without dropping or flattening your brows, unless you also have the glabellar complex treated.  Please consult and advanced injector who is a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon with extensive experience.

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

+1
Thankfully no, you will not need a "ridiculous" amount of Botox to treat your forehead wrinkles.

I would recommend 7.5 to 10 units of Botox.  With the forehead it is best to error on the side of less units because too many units may give you more smoothing but also lower your eyebrows.  A qualified Botox injector should be able to discuss the pros and cons, with respect to the number of units, during your office visit.

Timothy R. Miller, MD

Botox for Forehead Lines

+1
Your lines are typical for most patients coming into our office.  Between 10-15 units is all you would likely need for a natural result -- still with some movement, but with most of the lines improved.  Seek a formal consultation with someone experienced.  I wish you the best of luck, Dr. Emer.

San Francisco Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox For Forehead Lines

+1
Botox works well to soften horizontal forehead lines. The key is to use the right amount, and the right amount is not a large amount. You want to soften to forehead lines, not cause an artificial or flat appearance to the forehead. And your best option to get those results, in my opinion, is to have the treatment done by a doctor with extensive experience in using these types of medications. Good luck

Andrew Kaufman, MD

Botox for horizontal forehead lines

+1
Botox can work very well to diminish horizontal forehead lines.  The amount used can vary somewhat by individual, but I would think that the normal amount of Botox would be a good starting point to treat your forehead.  This most likely would work very well but you could always add more if needed.  I do not feel that fillers are very helpful with improving horizontal forehead lines in most cases.  I would start with the Botox and see how much improvement you get with that before trying other treatments for your forehead.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon