Rhinoplasty Question?

Hey, I would like to know how to communicate this to my surgeon on my last meeting before my surgery. I drew pictures to explain. I want to say " I want the bottom part of the tip smooth" but i am not sure how to word it. Or if their is a specific name for it. The first one is what I have The second one is what I want This is a profile view I am getting the bulbous tip done and I want the bottom to be smoothed out too and not bulbous. Thanks to anyone who answers. It's much appreciated.

Nasal cartilage irregularity

A bump in the portion of the nose that you have indicated is usually due to an irregularity of the lower lateral cartilage.  There are many ways to smooth this out surgically including suture techniques and cartilage grafting.   Just point out your concern to your surgeon so that it can be addressed at the time of your operation.  

Dear vancityDS,

• You are referring to the infratip lobule (the curve underneath the tip), and the columella (the bridge of skin between the 2 nostrils)
  • That should help you talk to your surgeon about what you want

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

How to Comminicate with Your Rhinoplasty Surgeon

This is a good question and one that I think a lot of patients over look prior to their consultation.
  1. The first thing to do is to look very critically at your nose and identify each area that you do not like and would like changed. 
  2. Try using something like a pencil or other pointer so that you can be very precise. 
  3. Look for pictures of noses that you like but make sure the face is similar to yours. Many times patients will bring in photos of celebrities who have a thin long face when they, the patient, have a round face and a narrow, thin nose will not work very well on that face. 
  4. Drawing out what you do not like or what you would like changed so that your surgeon can see exactly what you are talking about is another good way to communicate clearly with your surgeon.
Understand that you may be told that what you want is unrealistic, not possible or would not work well with your face. The goal in communication is to arrive as to close to what you want given your anatomy so that you will be happy with the results afterwards.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Terms

Hello.  Just to give you the terms so that you feel more comfortable.  I believe you are referring to the columella (tissue between the nostrils) and the infratip lobule (portion of the nose immediately below the tip).  Best wishes.

Anand G. Shah, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty question

The anatomical component in the drawing is considered a columella.  The columella can be made more smooth by trimming back a portion of the membranous and cartilaginous columella, which can all be done from the inside of the nose.  This is also known as a columella-plasty.  Trimming the columella will not make the tip look any more bulbous.

Rhinoplasty question

this is the infratip lobule. You can point this out to your surgeon and discuss your goals for its appearance on lateral view with him/her.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Question

You are pointing to the infratip lobule area. There are many special maneuvers we perform to obtain results for patients. You need to make sure you voice your concerns and even point them out before your surgery because this is the most important step in order to obtain the result you are looking for. Clear communication is key!!!

Richard J. Brown, MD

Rhinoplasty question

It seems that you are referring to the infratip area/columella.  The best way to explain it to your surgeon though is to point out the area as you are being examined.

Arnold S. Breitbart, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty issue

The best way to describe what you are bothered by is to show yoru doctor in person. It sounds like you are bothered by something with regards to the tip columella region.