Are there any cons assosicated with such a "full" rhinoplasty?

Fairly soon, (next month or so) I am getting my Rhinoplasty and Otoplasty Procedures done. On my nose, specifically, I am getting septoplasty to straight my deviated septum, as well as straightening the outside of my nose. Correcting a "showing" nostril on the left side of my nose due to the septum. Hump removal. Reduction and de-projection (for lack of a better word) on the tip. As well reduction on the bottom of the tip (minimal) 

Cons associated with a "full" rhinoplasty

+1

It depends on what your goals are for rhinoplasty.  The most common reasons for a full rhinoplasty are hump removal, narrowing of the bridge, and refining the bulbous tip.  A septoplasty is performed to improve the airflow dynamics through the nose and is typically billed to the patient’s medical insurance.  For further examples of noses similar to your own, please see our rhinoplasty photo gallery.

Common risks associated with a rhinoplasty (nose reshaping surgery)

+1

Common rhinoplasty risks include stuffiness, swelling of the nose and cheeks, numbness of the nose skin, bruising around the eyes, and discomfort.  There are other risks that are much more rare and really only occur when major work is done, like bone or cartilage grafting.  However, a rhinoplasty is a very well tolerated procedure that can produce amazing results.  Parts of the nose that are addressed with a rhinoplasty include removing a large bump on the bridge of the nose, making a wide nose more narrow (including the nostrils,) correcting a deviated septum, and reshaping the tip of the nose.  A rhinoplasty is usually done on an outpatient basis, and I recommend no work for 5-7 days and no contact sports for 6 months if major work was completed.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Rhinoplasty

+1

Your rhinoplasty procedure does not sound out of the ordinary.  It is quite common to perform the procedures that you described in your description.

+1

If all the above is needed to properly recontour the nose, then you will, indeed, be undergoing a full rhinoplasty. Doing all of these steps within the same surgery is essential, in my opinion. The swelling and final result will take some time to resolve. Of course, be sure that your surgery will be performed by an experienced, board-certified surgeon. If he or she is not, the chance of problems developing, such as over-resection, is much higher.

Good luck!

Ahmed Abdullah, MD
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty surgery

+1

Dear vancityDS,

• Your nose is made up of different components and parts
  • It is best to address all of it at once so that everything looks proportional at the end of the case
  • There are more cons addressing it piecemeal than "fully"

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Full Rhinoplasty Cons?

+1

A rhinoplasty that involves a lot of maneuvers does not necessarily have any negatives.  Although a greater number of steps introduces more variables, each step has a purpose.

Risks of full rhinoplasty

+1

I'm not exactly sure what your question is. All of the steps you have described are well recognized steps performed in rhinoplasty. Some patients need more and others less. If you like your surgeon's results, and like your surgeon's approach, than trust your surgeon to choose what steps he needs to do in order to get the result you want. There are always risks with surgery no matter how many or how few steps are taken to get the job done. Your surgeon should discuss these with you as well. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Are there any cons associated with a "full" rhinoplasty?

+1

It is common to have multiple issues addressed during the same rhinoplasty surgery. It is best to address everything all at once, as opposed to performing a separate surgery in the future. All patients have specific needs, and necessary procedures will vary from patient to patient. I would recommend establishing good communication with your surgeon, and discussing any concerns with him/her prior to surgery. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck! 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Are there any cons?

+1

What you are describing sounds like a routine rhinoplasty. While some patients only require one or two  modifications, the majority will need multiple steps as you describe. There does not seem to anything more unusal in your case.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty risks

+1

This sounds like a pretty straight forward septorhinoplasty. It is much easier on you and the surgeon to do this all at once, as your nose is only opened once. As someone who specializes in revision rhinoplasty, I can assure you that each time I go back in it becomes more difficult and takes longer to heal. I usually find that if the surgeon had done everything indicated initially no revision would be necessary. The most overlooked aspect I find is not addressing the septum. Not only can this affect airflow, but the septum is the primary support structure for the external nose. It is like putting wallpaper on sheetrock without having proper framing to support them. You want it done right the first time.

John C. Ferguson, MD
Honolulu Facial Plastic Surgeon