Retracted Columella or Just Tip Swelling? (photo)

I am 13 days post op. I got a rhinoplasty for a slightly deviated septum and an over projected, knuckled tip. Dr said he would rotate tip and gave me 3D image of how it's supposed to look before surgery. After I got the cast off I hated my nose, I look like a greek god. I thought he didn't rotate the tip as we discussed, but the more I stared at it I realized my columella is retracted giving the illusion of a droopy tip. Will the columella will come down over time?

Retracted Columella or Just Tip Swelling?

+1

You definitely have tip swelling, and this may be giving the illusion that you see in the mirror.  Time will have to determine if there is true columellar retraction.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

The appearance of your nose will continue to improve as your swelling resolves following Rhinoplasty surgery.

+1

I reviewed your concerns and your photos:

The fullness of your infratip lobule is exaggerating the appearance of a retracted columella. In fact, swelling at your nasal base will persist for many months, so patience is a virtue right now.

If you're still dissatisfied after 3 months, feel free to re-ask your query with before and after photos.

Hope this is helpful for you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Columella issue

+1

Without a preop photos and better post-op photos and a proper evaluation in person it is hard to say.  Right now you have mximall swelling so give it time.

Preoperative photographs are necessary to make professional judgments from postoperative photographs.

+1

The photograph demonstrates very little "show" of the columella. Without preoperative photographs is impossible to say whether this is a product of the operation, obscuration due to swelling, or existed preoperatively.