What Will Result of 20lb Weight Loss After Abdomnoplasty Be? (photo)

Right now I am about 5'9 and 176lbs. I was 285lbs, lost 120lbs. Then I got pregnant, gained again, which now is basically gone. I had a lot of loose skin before baby, but now the overhang is horrible and my muscles have separated. I have the option to have a tummy tuck in February before I'm back to work end of March. I want to be 145. Assuming I got to 165ish by then, would losing the last 20 after the tuck ruin the result? Also, how much weight might the tuck remove, based on the pics I added?

Weight Loss After Abdominoplasty

+3

It is not likely that 20 pounds of weight loss after an abdominoplasty would have much of an effect upon the outcome. It does not appear from the photos that that much weight change would have a dramatic effect. 

Although I feel it is a bit foolish to guess the weight of the tissue to be removed based on a photo alone, I will estimate 5 pounds.

I find it reasonable to proceed with the surgery as you have planned. Continue to work on weight loss as you have been.

Thanks for your question, best wishes.

Losing weight after tummy tuck (tt)

+2

I generally advise patients to be within 10-15 lbs of their target wt prior to tt.  Twenty will probably do nothing more than improve your result, and MAYBE leave the skin just a little looser than you would like. If that time frame works for you I'd do it.  Best of luck to you.

James E. Chappell, MD

Weght loss

+1

Many patients go ahead and lose more weight after abdominoplasty.Your results should only improve with another 15 to 20 pound weight loss after abdominoplasty

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Weight Loss after a Tummy Tuck Procedure

+1

Given that you have so much loose skin hanging from your belly, you would really benefit from a tummy tuck. I think that loosing another twenty pounds after your tummy tuck will only serve to further improve your result, not worsen it.  If you were planning to lose 50 or more pounds after the tummy tuck, I think this could cause issues, but with just 20 pounds I think you will be fine.  Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD

What Will Result of 20lb Weight Loss After Abdomnoplasty Be?

+1

Best to try to lose as much as possible before the surgery in Feb 2013. Ask the chosen surgeon their opinion. 

Tummy Tuck Surgery And Subsequent Weight Loss?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Congratulations on your significant weight loss; you should be very proud of this accomplishment. At this point, I think you have a good plan;  get as close as possible to a long-term stable weight prior to undergoing the tummy tuck surgery.

Although it is impossible to do exactly what will happen with an additional 20 pound weight loss (on your frame), my guess is that you will not see a deleterious change to your tummy tuck results. If you are more than 20 pounds away from your long-term goal, I would suggest that you postpone the procedure.

Best wishes as you continue to take steps toward your goals.

Twenty pound weight loss in 5'9" frame would likely be ok

+1

Thank you for the question and photos.  If your are tightened properly during your tummy tuck a 20lb weight loss following your procedure with a 5'9" frame will not likely make that much of a difference.  Constant weight fluctuation up and down of a significant amount may over the long term result on some of the laxity of your abdomen returning.  I would try and maintain a long term diet and exercise program that will keep your weight and muscle mass a fairly even level.

Dr Remus Repta 

Remus Repta, MD

Lateral Tension Abdominoplasty and weight loss

+1

Thank you for your question and pictures. You're an excellent candidate for lateral tension abdominoplasty. It is common and actually generally expected in my practice that patients lose 15 to 20 pounds after lateral tension abdominoplasty. This will only improve your results provided that adequate abdominal skin is removed at the time of your initial surgery. The weight-loss is typically a combination of initial tissue removed at the time of surgery, liposuction as well as weight loss secondary to a tight internal corset plication performed at the time of the abdominoplasty. Best of luck.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Weight loss after tummy tuck

+1

You do appear to carry most of your extra weight in the trunk area. 20 lbs. is not a big deal. The thinner you get the looser the skin and the more it will hang down. The good news is that losing more will allow the surgeon to take out more skin and tighten your abdomen.

Michael Hueneke, MD

Weight loss after tummy tuck

+1

Every plastic surgeon removes a different amount of tissue and closes the incison with a different amount of tension at different points.  The scar can vary in height placement along the pubis and the length of scar used.  I may take off 7 lbs while someone else may take off 6 or 5.  I may perform a tummy tuck with a shorter scar than someone else. 

The more that you take off, the less the additional weight loss matters.  I have noticed that weight loss of 50 lbs of more after tummy tuck produced residual skin laxity.  30 lbs and under tends to produce a slimmer you.  Between 30 and 50 lb is variable.