My Under Crease Incision is Puckering Will It Heal Flat? Can I Use Silicon Scar Strip on It While Its Puckered? (photo)

I just took my tape off my incisions and I noticed they are puckering? And look weird to me :( is this something that will heal on its own or am I just going to be messed up??:( also is it safe to use my silicon strips on my incisions now with that puckering or should I wait a while to see if they flatten out? I'm so nervous about all of this :( Thank you, ThatGirl8

Breast Augmentation Incision

+3

Hi ThatGirl8

It looks like your plastic surgeon has sutured down your inframammary fold as part of their closure. This is a good thing! There are opposing views as to if it 'needs' to be done especially if some other techniques are performed to prevent the inframmary fold from loosening. The opposite end of the spectrum is the patients whose inframammary folds loosen off and allow the implants to slide further down their chest than was planned. Much better to be in your position.

Once your wound is 3-4 weeks old, you should begin scar massage. As you do, you will feel the deep dissolving sutures under your fingertips. As they finish dissolving, they often 'pop' as you are performing your scar massage - this is normal. If the undersurface of the skin puckers down deeply, you may need a little scar release at the 6 month mark (I do these in my office under local anaesthetic). Once the scar begins to flatten out, silicone sheeting will help it mature quickly. Trying to apply it whilst the scar is puckered can lead to worsening of your scar.

Good luck

Dr Gavin Sandercoe 

Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Breast Aug - puckering of incision

+3

You will be ok!  This minor puckering is normal and will settle with time.  Silicone sheeting is fine however in my practice you would likely still have small steristrips covering the area so you would never actually see the puckering.  Best Wishes!!!

Stefan Mark Szczerba, MD

Puckering scar

+3

Since you just removed your strips, I assume you are early in the healing process. Many puckers do ressolve with time, and this one may. Scar products can be very helpful to improve the quality of your scar. I would recommend you discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Temporary contour irregularities of an incision is common after breast augmentation.

+2

Almost all contour irregularities of the breast will smooth out as swelling subsides after breast augmentation.

Puckered scar after breast augmentation

+2
Silicone strips are good for the treatment of raised scars. But, they will not raise or smooth out a puckered scar. It appears that you are very early in your healing process. So, give it several more months, and the scar will most likely get better on its own. Thank you for sharing your photos and concerns. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD

Scar puckering....

+2

I would leave it alone and not put silicone sheeting on it. Give it another few months to see how it heals and then ask your surgeon for specific advice on scar revision surgery if you do not like the way it healed. best, M

Michael Salzhauer, MD