Is This Mondor's Cord? (photo)

I think I have developed a Mondor's Cord at 3.5 weeks. It is a hardened line on the underside of my left breast. I am a little confused as my surgery was done through a peri-areolar incision yet the "cord" is underneath. I thought Mondor's Cord developed close to the incision. Could this be something else?

Mondor's Cord

hi cheekychick.  Yes, this is Mondor's Cord.  Some patients get it and some do not.  It develops with tension on that area regardless of the incision site.  I know this can be uncomfortable at this juncture but be patient because it will resolve.  This process usually takes about 6 weeks or so.  Take some Advil or Aleve to help with any discomfort.  You can always have confirmation by letting your plastic surgeon take a look at the area.  

Jackson Plastic Surgeon

Mondor's cord after breast implants

Thank you for the photo.  Yes, it looks like a Mondor's Cord.  These usually resolve with time.  Always best to let your board certified plastic surgeon know what is going on with your recovery.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

Cord under breast?

Thank you for your post. This condition is usually temporary on most patients. A little massage and warm compress helps alleviate discomfort faster. Best wishes - Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Yes, this looks quite typical for Mondor's.  It can happen with any breast surgery, not just augmentation.  These are annoying, but always resolve with time, and some anti-inflammatory medications.

Mondor's Cord After Breast Augmentation

Thank you for sharing your photo and you are correct.

Mondor's disease is not uncommon and the vein thrombosis you exhibit will resolve with time.

It would be good to have your surgeon in the loop of your finding.

I hope this helps and thank you for your inquiry.

The best of luck.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Mondors band

ditto!! clotted and thrombosed chest wall vein after recent surgery which will improve with antiinflammatory medication and time

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Is this Mondor's Cord?

Yes it is. It will resolve with warm compresses and time. The vein clots after being cut through during surgery. The clot will dissolve over time and go away.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Tethering under the breast after augmentation is self-limited and caused by swelling.

Swelling in the area of breast augmentation causes rigidity of tissue.  When stretched, rather than relaxing, the tissue remains ridid and can create a visible band.  This always goes away with time.

Mondor's disease following breast augmentation

Yes you are correct this is Mondor's Disease.  It is relatively  uncommon but we do see it from time to time.  It is due to a thrombosed vein under the breast and is related to the incision in the inframammary crease.  It always resolves spontaneously and is usually treated with mild massage and the use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen.  Talk with your surgeon and seek his advice.  

Mondor's disease

You are correct, you have Mondor's disease.  I treat this with Ibuprofen and time.  Please ask you surgeon if he/she has any objections to the Motrin.