Lypo and Dog Ear Correction or Full Revision? (photo)

I am looking for advice on how to correct this surgery. I am close to 6 months post op. I am at goal weight and have not gained or lost since surgery. I am dissapointed in results as there is lots of loose skin on my sides, and when I sit it is magnified. My surgeon suggest possible lypo to correct this as well as the swelling over the scar. I don't think that it is swelling as the more I heal the looser it gets, and I can streach and pull it easily. I think I need a full revision. Suggestions?

Tummy tuck revision

+2

There are a few issues with your result.  The mid portion of the scar is too high.  The scar does not go far enough out to the sides which is why there is loose skin at the corners of your incision.  The shape of the scar should be a slight smile, not a frown.  Fortunately, correcting the problems should be pretty straightforward and would not require a total redo of the original surgery.  Lipo, however, will be worthless.

Tummy tuck revisions

+1

Any surgical procedure may require a touch-up.  Although tummy tuck revisions are rare sometimes it is beneficial in order to optimize the result.  After a tummy tuck the skin will relax over time.  If there is too much skin after the relaxation then it may need to be excised.   Small areas can be done in the office, larger areas in the operating room.  Sometimes there can be some residual fullness in the lateral waist without skin excess and that can be easily treated with a little liposuction in the office.  The results from the photos that were posted are difficult to judge given there are no preoperative photos.  It is possible that extending the scar and removing more lateral skin will give the improvement that you are looking for.  A complete redo of the tummy tuck is a big undertaking and may be more than is necessary in order to give you a result that you will be satisfied with.

Jason E. Leedy, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

A scar revision with scar lowering might be your best option

+1

Thank you for the question and photo.  Excising your current scar and removing some additional skin and soft tissue below the scar may accomplish three goals for you including improving the linearity and symmetry of the scar, lowering the scar, and tightening the skin below the belly button.  This procedure is more like a mini tummy tuck as opposed to a scar revision since a little elevation of the tissue above the scar will be performed.  You will need a drain again as well as the abdominal binder.  Liposuction can be performed in addition to the scar resection as needed.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Tummy Tuck Revision Options?

+1

I'm sorry to hear/see your dissatisfaction after tummy tuck surgery. Based on your description, you may benefit from revisionary surgery; exactly what operation will best meet your goals will depend on careful examination. Based on your pictures and description, it is likely that you will benefit from additional excision of skin as well as liposuction surgery.

Lypo and Dog Ear Correction or Full Revision?

+1

Thanks for the questions and posting photos. Yes you need a "full" revision!! Sorry. It appears as a very poorly preformed TT 

Lipo or Tummy Tuck

+1

The key to the decision of weather to liposuction or revision your tummy tuck will be based on a good physical exam.  Second opinion is warranted also in this case.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Revision tummy tuck

+1

Thanks for your inquiry, I do not think from the pictures that you need to have your muscle repaired again or your upper abdomen redone.  In terms of the lower abdomen, liposuction and excision of skin can be considered.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Tummy Tuck Dissatisfaction

+1

I can sense your disappointment with your surgery but it is impossible to avise you accurately without seeing your BEFORE photos. None of us were in the room when you and your surgeon discussed your options so it is impossible to say what options were offered and what trade offs were made (ie shorter scar with less lateral skin excision).

From the few view you offer it appears your have a scar which MAY have been a bit shorter (and therefore did not address the lateral excess skin). Yes, you do have minor dog ears which can be easily corrected. You also seem to have excess fat of the tummy extending to the sides which should be addressed nicely with liposuction. Having excess skin when sitting down is NOT the proper war to look at things since in that position our hips are flexed and all of us have "excess" skin. (If we did not have "excess" skin when sitting down  we would not be able to straighten our hips and stand up).

Which corrective measure you should take depernds on what really bothers you. You may find that liposuction with dog ear corrections would correct things nicely.

Peter A Aldea, MD
Memphis, TN