How Long After I Stop Breastfeeding Can I Have my Implants Removed?

My left implant ruptured 6 months ago. I just finished breastfeeding Dec 29 2012. How long do I need wait. I am very unhappy with they way I look. My right breast is is about two sizes bigger then the left. Thank you Daisy!

Breast Implants Removals and Breastfeeding

+1

Thank you for your question. This is up to your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. They will want to make sure your nipples are not discharging fluid, and may need to make an incision in the fold under the breast. This should be able to be done in 2-3 months, if the discharge is minimal. I hope this helps.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant surgery after breastfeeding?

+1

If you just want to remove the implants completely, I would do this sooner than if you want to have another implant replaced.  I usually recommend waiting at least 3 months after cessation of all breastfeeding before surgery.  In some women, this can take longer if they still have milk production/leaking beyond that point. 

Michelle Spring, MD

Ruptured implants and breast feeding

+1

I would wait a few months until the breasts have involuted and you no longer are producing milk.  Good luck.

When to Remove Ruptured Implant after Breastfeeding?

+1

The ruptured implant can be removed and replaced as soon as the breasts have dried up.  This may take 2 months.  This may take 6 months or longer. 

Removal of Breast Implants after Breast-feeding?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the complication you have experienced;  the resulting breast asymmetry can be quite frustrating. It will be in your best interests to wait 3 to 6 months after you have stopped breast-feeding, before undergoing any breast surgery.  Your chosen plastic surgeon will be able to provide you with more precise guidance after physical examination.

Breast Surgery After Stopping Breast Feeding

+1

Thanks for asking the question and I'm sorry to hear of your problem with a ruptured implant.  The textbook answer to your question is to wait six months after breastfeeding has stopped before having breast surgery.  However, at times this can be modified depending on the situation.  I suggest you see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to get a full discussion on your range of safe options and the appropriate timing.  Best wishes.

Brian Howard, MD
Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon

Implant removal after breast feeding

+1

Is the issue removing and replacing a ruptured implant or just removing both.

If the issue is removing both, I would wait to see how your breasts look after the  swelling is gone and your volume has returned to your baseline or possibly smaller than pre pregnancy.  At that point you can decide whether you are comfortable with that size and if so, remove both implants.  If not, replace the ruptured implant.

Roger J. Friedman, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

+1

You are probably best waiting until no more milk is draining, which shouldn't be too long. Best wishes.