Light Brown Spots on Face: IPL? (photo)

I am 35, half-Asian, half-Caucasian, so my skin tends to be more yellowish than pinkish and it scars brown. I have developed some brown spots on my cheeks, and one on my temple, no doubt from sun damage. I wear SPF protection daily but that started in my late 20s; before that, I wasn't so careful. After researching online, i realize that my spots are very light so I wonder if I should be considering IPL or if it'll make the condition worse. (My pics came out a bit reddish, sorry!)

Brown spots

+2

For your skin type, you may be a better candidate for trying topical creams such as a combination of hydroquinone cream and tretinoin.  

Lasers are safer than IPL for treating light brown skin

+2

Though good results can be obtained using IPL to treat scattered dark spots on light brown skin it is generally a trickier process as the size of the treatment tip usually forces much larger ares to be treated, resulting in treatment of normal skin around the spot. Some newer IPL's have the capability of treating small spots, but not alldo. If the whole area is being treted then the settings have to be dialed back and several treatment sessions are necessary . I much prefer using the alexandrite laser,as a very small spot can be used to target just the unwanted spots.However since you "scar brown" even this needs to be done lightly in order to avoid stimulating brown pigment while healing.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

IPL...

+2

Yes, IPL would be a great option for your sundamage.  Multiple treatments are usually necessary for optimal results. 

Dr. Grant Stevens          Marina Plastic Surgery Associates         Marina del Rey, CA        The Institute

Web reference: http://www.marinaplasticsurgery.com/procedures.cfm

IPL is good choice for brown sp

+2

You could have an IPL treatment or a chemical peel.  Either one will give you nice results and remove your brown spots. As long as you are not tan or dark, you said half Asian skin type, the IPL is a goof choice.  For darker skin types I often prefer chemical peels.

Mobile Dermatologic Surgeon

IPL is an option but you may consider chemical treatments.

+1

Asian skin is treated more conservatively than caucasian skin with IPL.  Pre treating the skin with 4% hydroquinone for 4-6 weeks  is often necessary prepare Asian skin for IPL.  I recommend that you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist  to assess your skin type and hyperpigmentation.  There are other options for treating your brown spots such as Cosmelan MD. Good luck!

Treating brown spots in Asian skin

+1

Best to have your skin properly examined by a dermatologist to review the best treatment options. You may do sufficiently well with a chemical peel or some creams, although IPL is reasonable as well as liquid nitrogen. ~Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

IPL to reduce brown spots in Asian skin

+1

Your complexion makes you an excellent candidate to achieve significant improvement with IPL.  Not all treatments are created equal, but in the right hands you will see very nice results IPL.  

IPL for brown spots

+1

You can do IPL/BBL to improve your issues with facial pigmentation but given your skin type it will need to be done conservatively and will require several treatments. 

Pensacola Facial Plastic Surgeon

IPL laser for Asian skin

+1

You have some mild sun damage that needs to be improved.  Definitely use a high SPF in the future.  Due to the delicate nature of your skin I would stay away from IPL laser and would help treat your skin with TCA peels.  They will ultimately be easier, less tricky, and more effective with you combined with the proper topical creams.  You should have an excellent result.  Please remember to always use sun block so that you don't get new spots!