Fees, What Do You Think?

I met with my surgeon today, left the meeting feeling confident about our decision to wait a few months and then do a Mini tummy tuck to solve problem. I am not so confident on the fee's that she wants to charge. I feel as though I have already paid the full amount for a full tummy tuck and the results were sub par. It will be performed in her office under local, but still wants to charge me $1500. Do you think this is fair or what would you charge? Thanks for all the great advice so far!

Revision Fees

+2

I agree that we would need more specific information to comment about your situation. There are times when I charge nothing for revision and other times when I charge a very nominal fee to cover materials and associated costs of doing the procedure.  This is really determined on a case by case basis depending on exactly what the problem is, why it happened, and what needs to be done to correct it.  

Talk To Your Surgeon

+1
Unfortunately, I would need more information regarding your situation to determine what is fair. Please ask your surgeon about the fee and express your dissatisfaction. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Patient's Pay for Surgeon's Best Effort Not Guaranteed Results

+1

Without knowing the specifics of your preoperative exam, complexity of surgery, and other factors I am unable to formulate an opinion. 

Guarantees that you will be happy with the results, and that there will not be any problems afterwards is being unrealistic. 
Plastic Surgery is an inexact science and art form. For example it is not like carpentry where you can measure and make a piece of furniture over and over exactly the same both immediately after you finish and in the future. All surgery has risks including tummy tuck procedures. You as a patient need to understand, and it is the plastic surgeon's responsibility to make you aware of the risks associated with this procedure. This is called "informed consent". Most plastic surgeons (all surgeons for that matter) would agree that that it is important for the patient to understand that what they are paying for is  the best possible effort using all of their skill and experience to achieve your goals. There are no direct or implied guarantee of results as too many variables exist between patients (such as loss of elasticity, underlying muscle imbalance, sun damage, prior trauma, smoker, anatomic variation, etc, etc).

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Fees

+1

It is best that you discuss with your surgeon your concern about the fees. Find out what they are for exactly.

Michael Hueneke, MD

Fees for revisional surgery

+1

Every surgeon and patient is different.  Often there are charges that one cannot get around, (anesthesia, implants, OR fee, medicines, etc).  Most surgeons will charge a fee for revisional surgery, although usually less than the original fee.  Again, best to speak with your surgeon and/or his office manager so that everyone is on the same page.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Revision tummy tuck fee

+1

Thank you for the question.  Revision fees or costs vary from surgeon to surgeon based on their business model as well as what has transpired with your initial surgery.  It sounds like there is some trust and dissatisfaction issues with your result and plastic surgeon.  My best suggestion at this point is to discuss the same issues you have listed in your question with your plastic surgeon.  You may reach a conclusion and formulate a plan that is more satisfactory to you at this time.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Concerns about Charges for Revisionary Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+1

Without knowing a lot more detail about the quality of your results it is hard to comment fairly. However, what is clear to me is that communication between patient and plastic surgeon is very important.  In other words, if you have concerns about the charges that have been discussed,  discuss these concerns in a calm/constructive fashion with your plastic surgeon. This way you will receive accurate/specific advice that you will not be able to receive online.

Fees for revision surgery

+1

I personally do not charge a surgeons fee for revision surgery if I think I can improve the patient's result.  The patient does have to pay for anesthesia and facility charges which are out of my control.  We have this in our surgical consent forms.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Revision fees

+1

This is a common theme on this site and in all our offices. 

There is great variation in office policies, but I would say based on discussions with local colleagues and on reading many surgeon posts on this website, that most surgeons waive a professional fee, but patients are charged for operating room and anesthesia (not an issue here) for this sort of secondary procedure. Some surgeons will charge a professional fee, some surgeons will absorb all the costs, but both of those situations are a minority of cases. Of course, individual circumstances lead to individual arrangements. 

As far as the amount of the fee, it seems reasonable to cover the costs of the operating room. In my community, a surgicenter would charge about $800 an hour, a hospital as much as $4000 an hour. 

Thanks for your question, best wishes.

Fees for revisions

+1

It's difficult to comment on the fee because we do not have all of the information your surgeon does. There are situations when I would charge nothing for a revision, and situations where I would charge full price (or more!). 

I hope that you and your surgeon have a relationship where you feel comfortable explaining your concerns over the fee, and your surgeon will be comfortable either explaining the charge or adjusting it to something you both feel comfortable with. I can play devils advocate for you and warn you that you probably signed a consent form stating there is possible need for more surgery and you will have to pay for it; your surgeon did provide the standard of care; your surgeon is giving you a discounted price; and you won't find another surgeon to revise the work for cheaper. But ultimately I hope you will end up comfortable with the fee and happy with the final result.

Armin Moshyedi, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon