Feeling The Implant? (photo)

As you can see by my before pics I had a fair amount of breast tissue prior to BA. I am only 9 days post-op and I do understand that they have many changes to go through but I can feel the implant on the underside of my breasts with my natural tissue surrounding (more so on the left as the right is more swollen), it's almost like the implant is too narrow for my breast. Is this what I can expect? Or once the swelling goes down will it be less noticeable? 5'1" .. 115lb .. 400cc mentor gel HP.

Feeling Implants after 9 Days

+1

The inferior portion of breast tissue and skin envelope may be the thinnest portion of the envelope in some women.  Therefore, feeling the implants can be normal.  400 cc HP implants are likely not too narrow for the chest.  Kenneth Hughes, MD breast augmentation Los Angeles, CA

What to expect?

+1

Hello CheekyChick. At 9 days post-op its too early to say what you see now will be permanent. However, it is not unusual to feel your breasts implants here and there, specially at the bottom of the breasts. All this sounds normal. Best wishes, Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD

I Can Feel My Implants

+1

It is way too early. You may feel the implant if the tissue is thin over the lower part of the breast. I also do not know if your muscle was released over the lower pole of the breast. If so, it can make the tissue coverage thinner and thus a more palpable implant. As you pointed out it is early and you may want to wait 2-3 months and stay in contact with your surgeon.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Feeling the implant

+1

I always tell patients that they will almost always feel the implant along the inframammary region.  This is less likely in patients that have more breast tissue.

I Can Feel My Implants

+1

It is fairly common to feel your implants after augmentation surgery, especially in the immediate post-operative period. In my experience, once your swelling has abated and you are "more used" to feeling your breasts with implants, that they will feel much more natural. However, you may still be able to feel your implant on the bottom of your breast. The reason for this is you have the least amount of native tissue coverage on the lower pole of your breast. The profile choice looks good by your photos, but without the pre-operative chest wall measurements, it would be difficult to know for sure if the HP was the best choice. Please be patient with your recovery and I'm confident that when all is said and done you will be very happy. Good luck. Dr. G.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Feeling the implants

+1

All breast implants are palpable along the lower pole underneath the areola. When the muscle is divided it tends to move higher. Give your surgery more time for recovery.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Feeling Implants After Breast Augmentation

+1

Thank you for sharing your photos along with your post.

It is common that you feel your gel implants under your breast tissue especially if you are aware that they are present and you cannot help but looking to feel them indirectly.

At this very early point in the recovery process, I believe that what you are experiencing is common and once your breasts' swelling subsides then things will be looking and feeling differently and more naturally.

It seems from the photos that you have good results. Please do follow your surgeon's post-op instructions religiously and keep communication with him/her.

I hope this helps and please feel free to check the website below.

Thank you for your inquiry.
The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Feeling your Breast Implant

+1

Hi. The diameter of your implant appears to provide a nice shape in the photos you provided. If you poke around enough, you may be able to feel where the implant is. This does not necessarily mean that there is any problem. Luckily, the gel implant does feel very soft much like a natural breast.Other people are not likely to be able to feel it as easily as you are because you know that it is there.

Michael Horn, MD

Feeling The Implant

+1

Without measurement I would hesitate to comment on the choice of profile for a 400cc implant, but from the post op photos it does appear that the implant fills out the native breast tissue properly. It is common to be able to feel the implant through the breast tissue, and choice of profile would have no bearing on whether or not the implants would be palpable. Thanks for your question, and for the photos you attached. Best wishes.