Deviated Septum Cartilage (Lower Part) Effecting Nostril, Etc? (photo)

Basically the lower part of the my septum where the cartilage is is all messed up. Im getting my nose fixed with a septo-rhinoplasty to address this, I am just curious as to others opinions. Will i see significant changes? I just want a normal looking nose to be honest. I'm getting a hump reduction, straightening ( inside and out), fixing the nostril ( which i guess will correct itself when the septum is corrected. My question is, is the septum going to be moved to be more in the middle or what?

Deviated Septum Cartilage (Lower Part) Effecting Nostril, Etc?

+1

A routine rhinoplasty procedure is in order. 

You have a very typical situation.  The forward edge of the septum has somehow come off center and is leaning into the breathing channel to the left of the midline.  The standard septoplasty (surgery of the septum) procedure should render it back to the midline and behind the columella.  Othercosmetic changes you want are your choice, of course.  There should be improvement in your breathing.

Everyone wants to have a natural nose and be comfortable with the outcome.  I suggest you visit a lot of cosmetic plastic surgery websites and look at dozens and hundreds of before and after rhinoplasty (or, septoplasty) pictures.  Study the results in the before and after pictures that you like when you go for your consultation. 

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Facial Plastic Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California
Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON

Caudal septal deviation repair

+1

Your issue is a nasal septal deviation involving what's called the caudal septum (the portion closest to the nostrils). Your rhinoplasty surgeon should be able to make this part of the septum more in the midline during your procedure.

There are various ways to address this problem. It would be best for you to ask your surgeon about those details to get the most accurate information.

In the meantime you can check out my web reference link below to learn more about asymmetric nostril repair.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Deviated septum and nostrils

+1

Dear vancityDS,

• You are in luck because a septorhinoplasty will not only improve your breathing, it will also improve the look
  • We have surgical maneuvers that can move the septum so that it is more midline which will also address the deviation of the tip

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Septorhinoplasty candidate

+1

A septorhinoplasty will address both the functional and aesthetic aspects of your nose. The" septo" portion will address your deviated septum helping to straighten your nose and correct your breathing functions. The "rhinoplasty" portion will address your aesthetic needs. In all rhinoplasty procedures it is important to take in consideration the patients ethnicity and all of their facial aesthetics. This allows the surgeon to provide the patient with a natural looking nose that is sculpted uniquely to their facial features. The end result is a natural looking nose that appears the patient was born with and not surgically altered. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Deviated septum surgery

+1

The pictures do show a significant deviation of the caudal septum. A septoplasty will correct the deviated septum, and should alleviate the nostril asymmetry and improved breathing.

Septoplasty for Deviated Septum

+1

Good question. Yes, your deviated septum should be straightened during your septoplasty at the area shown in your photos. Just to be certain, make sure you ask your surgeon prior to surgery if he or she will fix your problem at the time of surgery.

Thanks for sharing you photos and question. Best of Luck!

Gregory Park, M.D.

Gregory Park, MD