Should I Be Concerned About the Result of my Septo-rhinoplasty? (photo)

I am 10 weeks post-op (septo-rhinoplasty). I know I still have a lot of swelling and I have to be patient but I would like to know if I should be concerned about the fact that my nose looked really deviated... The nose cartilage doesn't feel and look straight and I'm really scared that it stays like this. Will I need a revision in a year? Thanks for your expert opinions !!

Healing after rhinoplasty

+4

Ten weeks is still early in terms of healing from a rhinoplasty. The nose is still swollen and the fluid in the soft tissue need not be distributed evenly at any given time. Even sleeping on one side of your body will create more swelling on the dependent side. Salt, alcohol, exercise, allergies, flying and hormone fluctuations all have an effect on the appearance of the nose. Additionally, the wound has not begun to fully contract for over a year and this has a profound effect on the shape.  Notwithstanding all of the above, your left middle vault appears more narrow than your right in these images and it may persist. If this is keeping you awake at night then it's worthwhile to meet with your surgeon. While they will not know for sure what the final outcome will be at this point, they can probably make you feel much better with a little reassurance. It is also helpful if patients do not analyze everything with such detail in the post operative period as it is of no benefit.  Particularly when there are subtle asymmetries there is no action to take except to allow healing to progress. I would not recommend a Kenalog injection or filler for you at this point as the risks outweigh the benefits. Just time.

10 weeks after septorhinoplasty

+1

10 weeks is still very soon after your surgery, and you will be experiencing swelling at this time. Swelling can give the appearance of asymmetry and irregularities. In general, 70% of the swelling is resolved after the first 3 months and the remainder goes down over time. I would recommend waiting a bit and seeing how you heal. Your surgeon will be able to answer any questions you have in the meantime. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your recovery.

Paul S. Nassif, MD