Age 21, Male with an overbite and open bite: Do I Need a Chin Implant? (photo)

hi i am 21 year old male , i am currently ghave braces to fix my overbite and open bite . I have always thought that i have had a weak chin , and was wondering if you think that i need a chin implant . i have another 1 year left on my braces ,and if i do need a chin implant , i will pursue it after my orthodontic treatment.

Chin implant for weak chin profile

+2

A chin implant is in excellent procedure for someone who has a recessive chin and desires more projection of the chin. Chin implants come in a variety of sizes and shapes for implantation. They're composed of Silastic, are inserted under local anesthesia through a submental approach, and take approximately 1/2 an hour  to insert them.

Chin implant

+2

anmolchanan, as far as aesthetics,  facial balance and proportions go you would benefit from a chin implant. The implant will also help improve the support of your neck. Think of your chin as being the center pole for a tent; if the pole is in the correct position the tent canvas is taut, should you remove some of the pole the tent will sag. By the way in my practice these procedures are routinely done under local anesthesia with oral sedation. See an experienced facial aesthetic specialist and I'm sure you will have a positive result. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Augmentation to Improve Facial Profile

+2

Your jawline and profile would benefit significantly from either a chin implant or sliding genioplasty. There are advantages and disadvantages to either chin augmentation approach and that can be determined once you have completed your orthodontic care.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Do I Need a Chin Implant?

+2

You do not need a chin implant but it would improve your chin projection, facial proportions, and chin contour. I typically use a solid silicone chin/jowl implant. 

Chin implant candidate?

+2

From your side view picture, it does appear that you could have some more projection of your chin if you desire.  It does not appear that you need a lot more projection though.  You could discuss this with your surgeon at the time and a style and size of implant could be determined to give you the best result.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant after care of teeth

+1

A chin implant is best suited for someone who need more horizontal chin point rather than vertical. Also, your teeth should be in good occlusion and you should ask this question after your orthodontic care to get the most accurate response. Consult with a plastic surgeon and you will get more specific details.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

A chin implant is not a 'must'... but a 'plus'

+1

Your chin is a little weak. Adding a chin implant of about 8mm in the midline will improve your looks. Nabil Fanous, MD

Nabil Fanous, MD
Montreal Facial Plastic Surgeon

Do I Need a Chin Implant?

+1

Yes, from the photos provided a Chun Implant would seem aesthetically indicated and would balance the profile and entire lower face.

You Would Be a Good Candidate for a Chin Implant

+1

A chin implant is great at bringing the chin forward from the side or profile view.  A male chin is ideally location is at a level from a line drawn down from the lower lip from the profile.  In viewing your side profile, you chin is behind this line.  Bringing you chin forward would improve the balance of your face.  I would recommend a small to medium chin implant.

I hope this helps!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon