Am I a Candidate for Derma Fillers? What Would You Suggest?

I'm 28 years old and have never had any cosmetic procedures done. I feel as though I've aged significantly over the last couple of years and it seems to be in facial volume. I lost about 20 pounds over a year and a half and while I've always had a somewhat angular face, I used to have much fuller cheeks which I really liked. I also had 6 months of braces to correct some jaw/bite issues which I think has left me with a slightly uneven jaw. I just want to look healthy and vibrant again. Not tired

Weight loss definitely affects facial volume - fillers will help

+1

Depending on your starting weight and BMI, a loss of 20 pounds could make a fairly significant change in facial volume. Cheek volume does indeed impact our perceived age and as you question, collagen stimulators or fillers are a simple way to achieve volume restoration.

Sculptra works especially well for younger patients. The volume you "get back" is your own collagen so results last longer than fillers. The only drawback is that Sculptra is not instant. But an equal plus is that the change is gradual so your co-workers or others won't see a "different you" the next day.

Of course you can have other fillers and if your physician has a good eye, even those instant fillers won't seem so obvious.

As to the jawline issue - even small changes in bite can affect how the masseter muscle functions and over time, one side can become more or less prominent than the other. This "may" be addressable with fillers, or it might be something your orthodontist or dentist can provide a solution to. In any case, a visit first there is advised.

Los Angeles Dermatologist

Dermal fillers and weight loss

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss!  Sometimes with weight loss, the face deflates, dermal fillers may help imrpove this deflation. Best to be seen in person.

Am I a Candidate for Dermal Fillers?

+1

First of all, we cannot give any medical advise on this site as that would constitute a doctor-patient relationship. I always recommend that patients see a Physician for a personalized one-on-one consultation to get an opinion.

For those who do suffer from a loss of volume in the cheeks, the common options are as follows:

• Fat Transfer - One's own fat is removed from one part of the body and transferred into the desired location. The success rate with this procedure is 50% or greater in experienced hands and results can be quite good and permanent.
  • Sculptra - Usually 2-3 treatments are needed and results are unpredictable, although often good in experienced hands. Results can be long-lasting.
  • Radiesse - Results are instantaneous and lasts up to 18 months, although touch-ups during that time are often required.

Robert S. Bader, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon