Can You Lose Weight with a Tummy Tuck?

How much weight can be lost with a mini tummy tuck or regular tummy tuck? I'm not that overweight, but I was just wondering if it would make a big difference.

Don't do it for weight loss

+2

Under normal circumstances, you will not see more than 3-5 pounds of weight loss from a full tummy tuck. Basically none from a mini. The only time I see more weight come off from a tummy tuck is in the massive weight loss patient who has a substantial amount of extra skin.

So, don't do these for weight loss, just for body contouring. After surgery, when you like your tummy better you will feel it is worth it to increase your exercise because you will now get the results you have been wanting. Because of this, you might lose some weight.

Weight of tissue removed during a tummy tuck and liposuction

+1

In general, the average tummy tuck specimen averages about 2-3 pounds and the liposuction removed tissues weigh about 1 pound in the average tummy tuck patient.

Losing weight with a tummy tuck

+1

Tummy tucks are a very popular and effective way to contour the abdomen. During the surgery, a portion of skin and fat will be removed. In our practice we include liposuction with every tummy tuck. Therefore, patients lose weight in a tummy tuck surgery depending on the amount of skin and fat is removed and also how much is removed by liposuction. In a mini tummy tuck, the emphasis is on contouring the body and tightening the muscles. A regular or an extended tummy tuck will naturally excise more skin and fat. Patients in our practice have been known to lose anywhere from 3 to 15 pounds after their surgery.

To learn more about tummy tucks, see photos, and help you decide which one is best for you, please visit us at the link below:

Pat Pazmino, MD

You may lose 3-7 lbs with a tummy tuck

+1

As you can see, the other expert posters state around 3 to 7 pounds is a possible weight reduction. It depends on your body type if that amount of loss will be noticeable. Best of Luck.

Amount of Weight Loss with a Tummy Tuck

+1

this is one of the most frequent questions asked by my Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) patients. The answer is also one of the most disappointing.

Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) is a body shaping operation NOT a weight reduction procedure. With the exception of patients who lost a lot of weight (100-20 pounds) on whom we do either a Tummy Tuck or a Lower Body Lift who do lose 10 and more pounds in the process - the VAST majority of full Tummy Tuck patients do not lose more than 5-6 pounds in weight of the removed excess loose tissues. (in Mini tummy tucks, the amounts is much smaller).

The "Big Difference" would be generated by a Plastic surgeon who picks the proper operation for YOUR body and who shapes it as it needs to be done. The vast majority of women who have Tummy Tucks are VERY happy.

Good Luck.

Dr. P. Aldea

Tummy Tuck is not a weight loss procedure

+1

For the average patient, neither tummy tuck or mini-tummy tuck will result in significant weight loss. For most patients, the amount of skin and fat removed is around 2-3 pounds.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck will not produce significant weight loss

+1

Most people find that they gain weight immediately after tummy tuck surgery because of the IV fluids used during surgery.

Long term if you stay fit and do not gain weight you may find a 1 or 2 pound weight loss-that is about the weight of skin and fat removed during a mini tummy tuck.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck for Body Contouring

+1

I would not count on losing too weight after a tummy tuck. The goal of a tummy tuck is to improve your body contour: to get rid of hanging skin, realign the abdominal muscles and remove some fat.

I encourage my tummy tuck patients to watch their calories and strenghten their core muscles before the tummy tuck this improves their tummy tuck results. Most of my patients are thrilled with the results. They continue to watch their diet and keep their muscles strong..sometimes losing weight in the process.

Emily Pollard, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss following Tummy Tuck is modest

+1

Tummy Tucks are ideal for the post partum woman who has excess or lax skin, excess fat, and lax or separated muscles. Additionally, tummy tucks will benefit those patients who have lost a significant amount of weight and are now left with loose extra skin. An abdominoplasty can do wonders to improve or contour a person's body, but does not generally result in significant weight loss. Some may notice a weight loss of 3 to 10 pounds.

Sanjay Grover, MD

Weight loss from mini-tummy tuck

+1

Mini-tummy tucks remove some skin from the lower abdomen and liposuction can do the rest. The weight loss really depends upon the amount of subcutaneous fat that is removed with the liposuction.