Way to Dissolve a Lump from Perlane?

I had Perlane injected on marionette lines and it seems that they were overfilled or not done properly since I have a lump the about the size of my thumb next to my mouth. This was done about one month ago, and when I asked the doctor to try dissolving the lump using Hyaluronic acid, he said he had never used it before and would rather just put in more Perlane. Is there a problem with using Hyaluronic Acid? Would I be just making a problem worse?

Wydase Hyaluronidase Can Be Used To Reduce Restylane Perlane Juvederm or Elevess

+2

I am sorry to learn of the difficulty that you are experiencing. Perlane, Juvederm, Restylane or Elevess are all Hyaluronic Acids (HA). The beauty of them is that they are soft and work well to fill in lines and wrinkles around the face. Side effects from these fillers and dissatisfaction is rare. When these occasions do occur the wonderful thing about this group of fillers is that we can offer Wydase or Hyaluronidase to reduce or dissolve them. As an Ocular Plastic surgeon, in the suburbs of Detroit, I utlize Wydase all of the time as part of my freezing solution for eyelid surgery. Side effects from this substance are rare with the most common being an allergic reaction ( which I personally have never encountered with over 3000 procedures, Knock wood:)) As I cannot see you it is impossible to state if masking the lump with more filler would answer the problem. Your physician should never perform any procedure he/ she is not comfortable with. I would ask you to return to your trusted physician to see if he could consult a colleague who would be happy to work with both of you.

Sterling Heights Oculoplastic Surgeon

Perlane and lumps

+1

Without assessing you in person or first viewing a photo, it's very difficult to determine exactly the severity of your "lump" and whether or not you are asymmetrical. Hyaluronidase when injected correctly and the in right amount, will digest any lump resulting from Perlane.

Sam Naficy, MD

Dissolving Perlane

+1

Greetings Gail~

Hyaluronidase would be an excellent solution for eliminating an area of Perlane that you are unhappy with or that may have been overfilled.  Hyaluronidase can quickly and easily be injected into the area dissolving the product immediately.  If it is a lump you are concerned about, dissolving it and possibly trying Perlane again would be a better idea than trying to fill around it.  

Good luck~

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

Lump of perlane

+1

Usually if you feel a lump from  a filler, you can massage it down if this is recognized early after treatment.  At this point hyaluronidase can be injected to dissolve it.

Perlane can be dissolved with hyaluronidase

+1

To dissolve Perlane or any hyaluronic acid filler the doctor can inject a enzyme called Hyaluronidase. All hyaluronic acid fillers will dissolve giving the time.

Hyaluronidase will dissolve Perlane

+1

We think you may be getting confused with the terminology. The main component of Perlane is hyaluronic acid. If you have a Perlane lump you would not want to inject more of the same (more hyaluronic acid). Instead, Hyaluronidase can be injected to dissolve the Perlane and remove the lump completely.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Treating lumps from Perlane

+1

Lumpiness from any of the hyaluronic acid fillers like Perlane can be treated by an enzyme called hyaluronidase. This is injected in the area of concern and dissolves the excess product. Even if you choose not to treat the lump in this way, remember, the filler does not last forever, so the lumpiness will eventually go away.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Hyaluronidase can easily solve your problem

+1

You can definitely have hyaluronidase injected to dissolve or smooth out the Perlane if it is not achieving the results you desired. This will not make the problem worse - it will improve your situation. Hyaluronidase is an enzyme that breaks down the hyaluronic acid material that makes up Perlane. This is simple to do and inexpensive. Since your injector created the lump and is not familiar with how to treat the unwanted effect, it might be prudent to see a more experienced clinican.

Jonathan Hoenig, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Hyaluronidase often can correct errors

+1

The procedure you are thinking about is injection with the enzyme called hyaluronidase which can dissolve unwanted or incorrectly placed hyaluronic acid fillers such as Perlane, Restylane, Juvederm, and Prevelle. I have never heard of problems with this injection. In compounded products, there is a risk of allergy, so a skin test can be performed first, but with the FDA approved products, allergies have not been reported. In general, all hyaluronic acid fillers are effective and safe and have high patient satisfaction when injected by an experience dermatologist or plastic surgeon into appropriate candidates.

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist