Can Sclerotherapy Treat Facial Veins?

I have a vein under my eye that I would like treated. This is a single larger vein, not spider veins.  Is facial sclerotherapy a possiblity? 

Sclerotherapy works great for periorbital vessels!

+3

This is an area of the face which rightfully provokes much anxiety and concern. Injecting medicine into blood vessels around the eye? Couldn't that cause blindness?

Realizing that the anatomy of the periorbital tissues is separate and distinct from the eye is the first factor to consider. Sclerotherapy works wonderfully for vessels that are the proper size for this technique (small, like spider veins on your leg, but big enough to get a 30 gauge needle into). This includes facial or periorbital veins. Though some of my colleagues express concern about risks around the eye, this is generally because of lack of experience with sclerotherapy in this area, and naturally recommending a laser or procedure that falls within their own training.

I have done sclerotherapy for 30 years, and was extremely cautious when I first injected vessels around the eye. I can happily tell you that this is not only possible, but works quite nicely, just as with leg spider veins! The key difference with facial or periorbital vessels in particular is that they are somewhat more difficult to immobilize and accurately stick the needle into. Once that is accomplished, however, the vessel is gone. I have taught laser surgery for over 20 years, and can tell you that lasers work best only for the extremely tiny vessels of rosacea, port wine stain, or sun damage, and would not be applicable for larger vessels like you are describing.

Suture or stripping techniques are "overkill" in my opinion, though certainly effective, more costly, and leaving tiny but more noticeable scars than sclerotherapy.

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Laser best for facial veins

+3

Sclerotherapy is generally not a good treatment option for facial veins.  The risk of skin damage (ulcer, scar) or damage to surrounding structures (such as the eye!) is too great.

Lasers are my treatment of choice for facial veins.  For the deeper, larger, bluer veins, I find the long-pulsed Nd:Yag laser (1064nm) the best treatment, though a long-pulsed Alexandrite laser (755nm) is also quite effective in lighter skin types. 

Be sure you have proper eye protection in this area!  Some veins that are close to the eye may require a metal shield be placed between the skin and the eye to avoid eye damage.

Jeffrey C. Poole, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Sclerotherapy is not recommended for the face

+3

Depending on the size of the vessel and the color, there are at least 3 different lasers that I would consider using. The problem with sclerotherapy around the eye is that the the product that is being injected can cause vision loss or blindness, and this has been reported in the medical literature.

Care must be taken when using lasers around the eyes as well, but this is why it is extremely important that you go to a dermatology or plastic surgery office that specializes in these procedures. The physician should be performing the treatment and not deligating the procedure to someone else in his office (i.e. nurse, PA, technician).

Research the physician for Board certification and specialty and best of luck to you.

William Groff, DO
San Diego Dermatologist

Sclerotherapy safe for facial veins.

+2

There has been controversy between different specialties regarding the treatment of facial veins with sclerotherapy.  Sclerotherapy is very safe and works very well on facial veins.  With the newer sclerotherapy agents and smaller available sclerotherapy needles, injecting facial veins can be done quite easily with excellent results.  The most important factor in facial sclerotherapy is the experience and training of the physician doing the injections.  I have been doing facial vein sclerotherapy for years and I and the patients have been very pleased with the results.  If a vein is larger enough to accommodate the needle then it can usually  be treated with sclerotherapy.  The smallest of veins are treated with laser or micro needle radio frequency.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Sclerotherapy for large vessel under the eye?

+2

My first for treating a large vessel around the eye area like you describe would be Nd:YAG laser. We have treated a great many vessels just like this for patients and they are very pleased with the results.  Vessels respond very nicely, discomfort is extremely minute and seldom is there downtime (bruising).  The key is selecting someone with good experience treating vessels.  Choose your treating practitioner wisely and you will be pleased with your result.

Grant Stevens, MD

Periorbital Reticular Veins

+1

Perioribital reticular veins are best treated with a Nd:Yag laser. repeat treatments are necessary. Reocurrances may occur.

Gail Nield, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Best Treatment for Facial Face Veins - Sclerotherapy, Laser / Thermocoagulation

+1

The answer to your question is Yes, it is a possibility, but NO I would not recommend it.  Injection of veins on the face are associated with a much higher risk of complications due to the sensitive location.  The blood vessels around the eye are particularly high risk for sclerotherapy treatment.  I would stay away from sclerotherapy in this region.  My recommendation for smaller spider vein treatments around the eyes or face is either thermocoagulation with a laser or thermolysis device, such as the Veinwave or VeinGogh device, which has received FDA approval for these types of veins.  Special eye protection is used during these treatment to avoid any damage to the eye or retina.  If the vein is indeed larger than spider veins (as you describe) then your best option is probably a minor plastic surgical procedure known as microphlebecomty, in which the vein is surgically removed through a micro-incision in the skin overlying the vein.

I hope this information was useful.

Joel Gotvald, MD, FACS
Austin General Surgeon

Lasers are a better option for facial veins

+1

Lasers are a better option for facial veins.  In my office we use the Vbeam laser which is very effective at treating facial veins.

Brian Dubow, MD

Treating spider veins around the eyes

+1

Lower eyelid broken capillaries and veins can be treated with a number of different techniques, none of which is the gold standard.  I would prefer to treat these veins with puncture ligation or laser.  Ligation, as stated by Dr. Hratch Karamanoukian, is an ideal treatment for larger sized vessels.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Laser or Microphlebectomy for Blue Vein around the eyes

+1

While you are theorectically treat veins around the eyes with Sclerotherapy, I would not recommend it. The risk for serious complications including blindness and skin necrosis far outweighs the benefits, especially when there are much better alternatives.

Depending on the size of the blood vessels, I generally treat these veins with either Pulsed Dye Laser or KTP (for smaller vessels), or Nd:Yag for larger vessels.  Your doctor needs to be very careful around the eye, as lasers have been known to cause eye damage.  I always make sure I place an eye shield or special contact lens inside the eye before treating.  Several treatments are usually required.

Better yet, for an isolated blood vessel around the eyes, my favorite treatment is microphlebectomy.  A small (1-2mm) incision can be made and hidden along your smile lines after the area is numbed.  Using a special hook, the vein is then removed safely and permanently.  

Either way, you will have some temporary bruising to the area that last about one week.

Margaret Mann, MD
Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon