Can Rhinoplasty Results Be Previewed by Computer Imaging?

Is there any way to preview results of the procedure by altering patient pictures in image processing applications? Can anybody describe to me what Rhinoplasty (for narrowing the nose) results should I expect based on my picture?

Image software helps in previewing results

+4

Some of the plastic surgeon's offices offer a computer imaging for the Rhinoplasty results preview and review purpose. It gives a patient an opportunity to view and discuss the options of the nose changes. Some patients value a chance to discuss and "design together" with a surgeon a desired look. It gives them certain level of confidence in perusing the rhinoplasty surgery.

Are we on the same page?

+3

I find computer imaging software most helpful to better understand what your desires are. It is really a GREAT communication tool. It really works best on profile view. Do you want your nose more or less projected (how far it sticks off your face) or do you want it more or less turned up? Do you want a scooped out or a straight bridge?

Frontal view is not as representative as the profile view because the photo is flat (2 dimensional and you are 3 dimensional) but it may show you what you would look like with a narrower tip or bridge. Interestingly I give my patients multiple options and I find that most people want a nose that is not too different from what they already have. They just want a little modification so that they look themselves but better. Of course the computer image is not 100 percent and can not be considered a guarantee but I find that most people after undergoing rhinoplasty find the computer image pictured pre treatment very helpful and accurate. Although I emphasize it is best as a communication device the computer imaging helps me and my patient get on the same page. Their vision becomes mine.

Good luck

Steven H. Dayan, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Computer simulations don't predict outcomes

+3

Computer imaging is sometimes a useful tool for communication between the patient and the doctor. However it doesnot predict an outcome.

It is easy to perform "surgery" on a computer. Photoshop flawlessly creates beautiful visual effects. The computer simulation does not, however, predict the effects on the appearance, the effects from/on adjacent unoperated tissues, on breathing etc.

The disclaimers most doctors give their patients are an indication of how unhappy patients are if their surgery doesn't produce exactly what's on the picture.

It is in my opinion more accurate to look at actual before-after photographs of real patients with similar features and see how they come out.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Computer Imaging in Rhinoplasty

+2

I use computer imaging extensively in my rhinoplasty consultations. I feel it is an essential part of my practice, as it allows patients to communicate their aesthetic wishes in visual form. At the same time, it gives me the opportunity to display what sort of results I feel are achievable and realistic given the patient's nasal anatomy and skin type. These images usually take about 15-20 minutes to create and I do save them, to use as a guide during surgery. The images are not a guarantee of results but rather a visual representation of our mutual surgical goals for the patient's nose. 

I also offer patients the opportunity to perform this imaging before they come in for their consultations, by using the simple, easy-to-use Virtual Rhinoplasty application on my website. These images can be saved, printed, or emailed to me before the consult takes place. I find this application particularly useful for international patients or those from outside the San Francisco Bay Area, as we can begin the consultation process through this imaging app and over the telephone. I can then examine the patient's nose and discuss the entire surgical experience in detail the day before surgery, when they fly into town for the preoperative visit.

In your specific case, a full set of photographs (in particular the front view) would be useful as it sounds like your goal is to narrow your nose. 

Dr. Mehta

Umang Mehta, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty: 3D Computer Imaging Can Help Set Goals For Surgery

+2

There are several methods that rhinoplasty surgeons use in their practices to help patients understand what their surgical result may look like.

Some surgeons prefer to use tracing paper overlying the patient photographs. This can give patients a rough idea of what to expect from surgery.

Computer imaging, frequently called computer morphing, is a very effective way of communicating the intended surgical results and to set goals for surgery.

Most recently, 3D computer imaging and analysis has become available. This new technology allow the surgeon and the patient to view a preoperative image in 3 dimensions. The image can be rotated and viewed from any angle. Morphing tools allow the result to be simulated in 3D and viewed from any angle. (see link below)

It is very important to realize that all imaging and drawings are used to set goals for surgery. There will always be some subtle variations from the simulations. However, the real value in this valuable preoperative tool is that it can increase the surgeon's understanding of the patient's goals and desires.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Morphing software abounds

+2

Nik,
You can have your nose "morphed" with one of the many morphing software applications that are available. In fact, you can probably even morph the photo yourself with photoshop to see how your proposed surgery might look. You could bring your altered photo to your plastic surgeon to see if the results are indeed realistic. Good luck.

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Yes -on a computer. Real patient before/after photos more reliable

+2

My son can make you a great nose on a computer: he knows nothing about noses. Look at the surgeons before/after noses that are similar to yours. This will give a better idea as to what the doctor actually does.

Video imaging will show you result ahead of time.

+1

Patients can view what their postoperative rhinoplasty images might look like through video imaging. 

Mark Hamilton, MD
Greenwood Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Before & After Photos

+1

If you review rhinoplasty results online or on a surgeon’s website just remember that pre and post op views of patients on a plastic surgeon’s web site may not be just representative results. They are their best results. They do not guarantee the results of an individual patient. Of course, all of us show photographs of good results primarily. The goal is to choose a rhinoplasty surgeon that actually can provide you with an objective view of what is possible, analyze your nose precisely, and give you a natural result that will match your face and ethnicity. Beyond that, photographs and images are only good for educational purposes and are not a guarantee of results.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Aesthetic imaging

+1

In my office we have used a "Mirror imaging system" for almost 20 years. It can give the patient a very accurate portrail of an expected rhinoplasty result so long as the surgeon is honest with the patient. I always back this process up by showing the patient books and books of actual rhinoplasty before and afters photos that I have done to let them see "real"results. Imaging can be great to help a patient visualise his likely results, however real photos attest to the likely outcome much better, and should also be provided. On the picture you have provided (side view ) all I can say is that there is a small hump that would be nice to remove, the nose itself is in need of moving back to your face slightly, and the columella labial angle beneath the nose needs to be made more towards 90 degrees. It is also important that your nose not be shortened or turned up at all.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon