Can Microdermabrasion Be Combined with Anti-aging Treatments?

I am wondering what, if anything, is a good treatment to combine with microdermabrasion if I want to start seeing more results.  I have a few brown spots on my cheek bones and nose, still get some acne on my cheeks and chin, and now have fine lines/wrinkles showing up on my forehead and under my eyes.  It just seems like microdermabrasion by itself isn't cutting it anymore.  Thanks!

Yes but not all

+2

It is a great idea to combine microdermabrasion with other anti-aging treatments. Not all treatments would be appriopriete but light lactic, madelic acid or AFA peels are nice choice that will enhance the results of microdermabrasion.

You are looking for a deeper penetrating effect

+1

Brown spots, fine wrinkles, and acne are all beneath the reach of microdermabrasion. The single best treatment that would work of all of these would be the C02 fractional laser  (such as Cynosure Affirm C02) but there are similar other brands available.

The C02 laser has been the gold standard for its depth of penetration, allowing for improvement in all the areas you mentioned. We usually find quite good results with 3 treatments. With the computerization of the laser we can fractionalize the dose and reduce the downtime dramatically down from 6 weeks to about 2-3 days. 

Stubborn brown spots could be supplemented with Alexandrite laser treatment if needed. 

The microdermabrasion (we prefer Vibraderm because there is no blasting of granules on the skin), would be a great and fairly inexpensive way to keep the skin fresh and vibrant after you have gotten it where you want it with the laser treatment.

Hope this helps.

Chris Peers MD

South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon

Microdermbrasion helpful for rejuvenation only as part of a customized skin care routine

+1
Series of Microdermbrasion may provide baby steps for rejuvenation as part of a combination of skin care products and procedures, preferably supervised by a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.drwilliamting.com/Cosmetic_Dermatology.html

Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Combining treatments generally improves results

+1

Different procedures address different problems. Microdermabrasion is excellent but, while it is fine to use it as an isolated procedure, it is very often combined with other treatments that do different things to offer a better end result. We usually start with Visia digital skin analysis. Recommendations are then made based upon results of Visia combined with issues described by the patient. It's not a one size fits all. The approach to rejuvenation will be different for each patient.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.